Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo's: Do you have one & why?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭[QJ]Serideth

Kiera wrote:
    No no no. I don’t wear long baggy t-shirts to cover it. I just don’t like being somewhere like in the pub yesterday before the game and there were loads of girls with tattoo’s showing. I made sure mine was covered as I didn’t want to seem like a sheep.
    Why care what other people think, I don't have any tats yet, but if a group of nackers have the same piercing as me I don't take it out, it's mine, why should I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

don't have a tattoo..and it doesn't occur to my mind having one because i'm afraid of needles.got several friends whose got tattoos and i find it pretty cool! if you feel like having it...then go for it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 thebassman

I'm just after reading through this thread.... I've had this discussion so many times with friends and interested strangers.. I've four tattoos....two on my right upper arm, one on my left upper arm and one on my rear end.... nothing too big nor obvious, but provides levels of intreague over a few pints.

Anyway, the first thing I'll comment on is that I think there is an attitude out there that tattoo-ed persons belong to the realm of persons to be avoided - the untrusted group, but this is a load of codswallop!!

I also agree with the sentiment that tattoos should be original and personal to the person getting it done. Getting one done "to be part of the gang" is just wrong, and unoriginal flash tatts (tricolour-IRA/I love mum etc) are just unimpressive. Incidentally, I was told that up north, they will remove tattoos on the health service if they have any political references to the point (I've been told), people are getting the likes of "IRA" etc added to their "I love Mum" tattoos just to get them removed for free. Dunno how true it is though!

I've had strangers come up and ask me about the tatts, to the point that a few were actually surprised that I talked back and was actually quite pleasent!! I think most people are just curious than anything else. I haven't had any negative reaction so far to my tattoos, although they are hidden during the day (dealing with the public for a living, I have to wear a shirt), so, any opinions are usually given in the like of pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

I think the general opinion on tattoos will change as my generation matures. People forget that the two generations above us grew up in an incredible different Ireland. We live in a much more liberal and open minded society now. When we're all the mothers, fathers, managers and teachers, tattoos will probably become totally acceptable. There will always be a conservative right wing who look down on it, but **** them like, do you really care what they think? Only thing is, if tattoos become totally acceptable in the future then people probably won't want them anymore. I know I still will though, its the sensation that attracts me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Rich why: If it is actually the sensation of getting them done why don't you just take up cbt or some other form of pain based s+m? its a lot cheaper in the long run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I got my starsign (the "M" that stand for scorpio in stone effect) on my left shoulder. I've always been fascinated by tattoos since I was young and aim to have more. Got it on my 20th birthday. Want to get a dragon I designed in college next or something similar. there is a stimga associated with tattooed people - like bikers, and the majority are so nice it puts others to shame. I don't get the oppurtunity to uncover my tattoo often but going on hols in sept so will then :) can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

iv got my back tattooed-you can see in th pic thread. The top tat has the initals of the faive girls who died in th Navan bus crash, it has a trinity knot and another Celtic design coz of my cert in celtic Shamanism. The next bit is a variation on the Kundalini-snakes intertwinning up a pole, and up my spine-a sign of a healer. Also in the snakes "faith" is written in ogham. the bottom one is of an anch and a tribal design, an anch standing for eternal life.
    my other one is my partners lyrics on my leg.

Advertisement