Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police in Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

But why should they be afraid? (sounds pathetic!) They have a position of power.

A position of power does bugger all for a garda trying to face down our cities scumbags. Law is a great thing, but when you think about it, it will only affect you if you respect it, otherwise its useless. To those that regularily dont obey the law, they have nothing to fear, they live in a society where their friends are in prison, being sent there is a visit to butlins for them.

These people have NO respect for anything but money. This is the society we have built. Paying a guy to dress up in a blue uniform, with nothing but a little batton to 'protect' us from these people is a farce. Meanwhile these guys are carrying machetes, hand guns, flick knives, etc.

Putting more gardai on the streets is not the solution, that is a short term treatment of the symptom. What needs to be treated is the cause. Why are people out there acting like barbarians? Why are kids doing drugs, drinking, getting pregnant, etc. Why are old people being robbed.... Why are people being shot in front of children.....We should know... we built this.

Are we american enough yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Reminds me of what happened me when I was a student in Galway

One Friday evening, I was sitting in Eyre Square eating a salad roll. It was 1pm and my bus was at 1:50pm so was just waisting some time.

I walked across the square to throw the unfinished roll in the bin. This is in the corner by AIB. 4 homeless guys were watching me.

One of them came up behind me, grabbed my arm and asked "could I spare a few coppers?". I just said I was a poor student and he had more money than me. Then I got pushed and he demanded money. Told him to f**k off and he was only a wino and would waist my money on drink.

Walked away and got glassed with a small vodka bottle. Then got kicked and punched as I was dizzy until and recovered and pushed to the ground. Friends later told me to never turn my back in a situation like this but I didn't know at the time.

Not one person came to help me and a group of tourists seemed to be enjoying the spectacle of me getting beat. I'd love to say I could defend myself but I weigh under 10stone and the other guy was far bigger than me.

Guard came along,took my details and talked to the homeless guy. Went to the station one week later and gave a full statement. Followed up after 3months, 6 months, 9 months and one year and nothing ever came of it. I was expecting a day in court.

At the same time, I'd often been threatened with getting a summons for breaching the peace whenever a house party went past 11pm.

Had faith in the gardai before this incident but now I doubt If I'd bother phoning in an incident like the OP's post or any random fight on a street. Got the impression I was only a student. If some important businessman in Galway had been assualted in Galway, would the Gardai have followed up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

If they're older there's probably more to it and probably not a random attack. What age were these guys?

I think if I was there with a bunch of my male friends I would have done something, if they were 20 or under. Anyone older I think it'd be a near certainty you'd get knifed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Rash!

But not too far from a solution! As it stands... Police don't even carry batons or any kind of weapon...

Most knacks and scumbags carry knives, Hurleys, bicycle chains... etc!

Lets not forget the time you were threatened with a belt buckle and....wait for it....a rolled up tent?

RHG lives an interesting life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

HavoK wrote:
    Lets not forget the time you were threatened with a belt buckle and....wait for it....a rolled up tent?

Yes indeed... Packie Sweeney and his cretins.

They were so pathetic though... "Give us 2 euro for the bus, or you're gettin' this across your face!" quoted young Sweeney, as he threatened a 16 year old Red with a belt buckle, meanwhile, Sweeney's butt-pirate friend made threatening gestures with a rolled up tent.... yes! Tent!

I see those type of knackers more as comic relief than actually threatening.

I doubt cops would even have a "chat" with them, because they are so ridiculously crap knackers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

micmclo wrote:
    Told him to f**k off and he was only a wino and would waist my money on drink.

And you wonder why they went for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Why does everyone think knackers carry knives (seriously)? Most of the scumbags don't actually want a fight anymore than you but are willing to bet you'll back down first. (Though a mate of g/f tackled a guy with a knife threatening a checkout girl in Joyces and some dude was stabbed at 2 on a Sunday in Galway shopping centre so maybe there actually are loads of knives around....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

(maybe there actually are loads of knives around....)

More than you can imagine... some of these buggers carry knives which them everywhere, going the shop, cinema , swimming pool etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Xennon wrote:
    A position of power does bugger all for a garda trying to face down our cities scumbags. Law is a great thing, but when you think about it, it will only affect you if you respect it, otherwise its useless. To those that regularily dont obey the law, they have nothing to fear, they live in a society where their friends are in prison, being sent there is a visit to butlins for them.

These people have NO respect for anything but money. This is the society we have built. Paying a guy to dress up in a blue uniform, with nothing but a little batton to 'protect' us from these people is a farce. Meanwhile these guys are carrying machetes, hand guns, flick knives, etc.

Putting more gardai on the streets is not the solution, that is a short term treatment of the symptom. What needs to be treated is the cause. Why are people out there acting like barbarians? Why are kids doing drugs, drinking, getting pregnant, etc. Why are old people being robbed.... Why are people being shot in front of children.....We should know... we built this.

Are we american enough yet?

I said most of that in the rest of the post! I agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Why does everyone think knackers carry knives (seriously)? Most of the scumbags don't actually want a fight anymore than you but are willing to bet you'll back down first

I dunno, some of them are pretty sadistic....

• Advertisement
Advertisement