Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion in an apartment

Options
  • 17-07-2006 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I live on a top floor apartment in a small apartment block (13 apartments) and have access to my attic space. Should it be converted, there is ample room for another bedroom, or at the very least a study.

Has anyone attempted a similar conversion? I've read many of the useful posts here about attic conversions in houses, but there seems to be little information on conversions in attics above apartments.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has gone through this process. What issues arose which are distinct for attic conversions in apartments? What legal issues are there to consider? Was there any oppostion from other residents? Did you find it difficult to facilitate access for builders?

Any other opinions or suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
    Ger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What kind of structure is the roof. And is the attic space yours? It may not be considered as part of the closest apartment but rather the whole building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gerry_mc

I'm in the process of comfirming this, but I'm very positive this is my attic space. I now need it in writing, which isn't proving easy to obtain.

It spans the walls of my apartment only and I have sole access through my apartment.

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who had to confirm with their solicitor they owned thier attic space and could carry out work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I would imagine there would be a problem with interfering with the roof if you wanted velux windows/skylight for a start.

Advertisement