Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between Architect, Arch. technician etc...?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I not trying to (and i dont think any one else is) discredit architects. Their design skills are key to the built environment. all the building we love and hate are most likely some architects vision. Large scale building need an architect to live up fully to potential. Where commercial or industrial construction can be made to work around the building.

In traditional domestic construction ease of building is top of the list for alot of people. Unless you want an ultra modern award winning type house (which will only get planning in certain locations) An architects design skills are wasted on a house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Mellor wrote:
    An architects design skills are wasted on a house

Mellor- I don't know where you're coming from or for that matter where you're heading, but IMO your comment is one most succinct pieces of bull**** I've ever read.

I'm afraid your credibility has tanked with that gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Mellor wrote:
    I suggest that you pay closer attention in september. most of the lecturers in your course are arch tech graduates. i'm not going to name names here, but nearly everyone of them.

I have to agree with some of that and disagree with some of it, There is a high number of Arch Tech Grads teachin on the course but the further into the course you go i.e. 2nd and 3rd year, the more you will see that the year heads, assist. year heads and diff. lecturers are infact Architecture Graduates.

I agree with you, if your refering to 1st year where all bar 4 are Arch Tech Graduates....but overall I think that its rediculous to have architects teaching a course that they really arn't very well qualified to teach, I mean, If they were qualified enough to teach in the course why would we need technicians in the first place

Mellor- I don't know where you're coming from or for that matter where you're heading, but IMO your comment is one most succinct pieces of bull**** I've ever read.

I'm afraid your credibility has tanked with that gem!
    Would you care to elaborate on your comment. In case you misunderstood me. The part you quoted was out of context anyway. My comment refered to houses where the architect had to hold back or stifle his design to get planning. A house that ended up fairly standard. Not a house with architectural character.
    I hope that your are not trying to twist my words into something that they're not. If you want an architect to design a house, he should get almost free reign, asking an architect to design a bog standard house (that could be out of a book) is a little insulting. You wouldn't ask an artist to paint you walls.

I hope you understand my point a little better. I was refering to bog standard house architects are sometimes forced to design. Not ALL architect designed houses.

I have to agree with some of that and disagree with some of it, There is a high number of Arch Tech Grads teachin on the course but the further into the course you go i.e. 2nd and 3rd year, the more you will see that the year heads, assist. year heads and diff. lecturers are infact Architecture Graduates.

I agree with you, if your refering to 1st year where all bar 4 are Arch Tech Graduates....but overall I think that its rediculous to have architects teaching a course that they really arn't very well qualified to teach, I mean, If they were qualified enough to teach in the course why would we need technicians in the first place
    Actually I was refering to first year, as I think you said you have just finished first year. I agree that higher up the years the year heads are graduates from architecture. But I should point out that these are generally older staff members and the course is only 40 years old and they could of easily been around a bit longer.

Out of 21 staff members, there are about 7 that are as you put it teaching a course that they really arn't very well qualified to teach. But as i said these are the older members and all the staff in recent years are graduates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Sorry, bout that misread your post:o .
    Anyway, it seems as though you have a fairly good knowledge of the course, Would I be right in thinking your a past student or perhaps one of the lecturers?:eek:

Close enough, I'm a current student. The course is no were near perfect, but luckyily for you, the new subjects and projects get tried out on us, and often messedup up, and then thay get it right for your year.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Mellor wrote:
    My comment refered to houses where the architect had to hold back or stifle his design to get planning. A house that ended up fairly standard. Not a house with architectural character.

I think that in a lot of counties the fact is that their Development plan dictates what can and cannot be built and that in some counties the Development plans can be very restrictive:(

So you could have a world renowned architect but he still would have design within the Development plan guidlines.

In Galway for example the development plan encourages design with " traditional west of Ireland Cottage style windows" which looks f**kin horrible on large two storey houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Reason Numero Uno why this country has had such a weak track record for good house design. Fortunately things are improving and the Celtic Tiger has provided great stimulus for people to be more adventurous about house design and increasingly architects are commissioned to realise the dream house.
    I think the problem with poor house design is more to do with planners rather than failure to employ an architect. I could've spent €100k on an architect and I still would've only got permission for a bog standard bungalow. This isn't just a recent situation either, as a friend of the family was an architect and was continually shot down over 30 years ago for a non standard house - he had to give up and conform...

Just to confirm, you don't need an architect to sign off on a house, having just built one and had no problem with the compliance form signed off by an engineer either with the council, building society or solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vandy

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Hi all my name is vandy and I am a 2nd year student at the University of Bolton. For my sissertation am doing the role of architectual technologist in the construction industry. Question is Why Technologists are seen or veiwed as a Technician?

• Advertisement
Advertisement