Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 laptops from 1 router??

• 17-07-2006 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have an Irish BB wireless BB connection & I have a wireless router plugged into it, I can connect to the internet no problem but have to have all the addresses in my computer ie can't use 'automatically detect IP settings'

Problem is that anyone else that comes to my house isn't able to connect to my router even tho I don't have any password or anything on it- have tried to do it but can't work it out...

My flatmate has just bought a laptop & can only use the internet when my LT is turned off or 'disable radio' is clicked, if either of us tries to use the connection the one that is already connected gets a pop-up saying 'there is a IP address conflict with another computer on the network'..sorry my brain isn't working properly!
    I presume that's because I had to put my IP settings in to get his running instead of automatically detecting....

It's really annoying cos we are always fighting for internet time!

Would also love help on setting up a network password...I'm sure someone is 'stealing' my bandwith!!!

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

iPink wrote:
    I have a wireless router plugged into it
    What brand and model of router?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Hi Foxwood,

I have forgotten (as I said my brain cell isn't working today!) I had a look this morning to post today but can't remember, I'll have another look tonight & post!!!

Thanks for answering tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Basically what you have done is set up the two laptops to use the same ip address. You should just change the ip address of your friends laptop to one up from yours and leave everything else the same. i.e. if your ip is 192.168.1.10 then set his to 192.168.1.11.

Any reason why you can assign ip addresses automatically? Have you got DHCP disabled on the router?

Anyway as Foxwood said, post the router details and someone will talk you through configuring it.

Hi guys,

Thanks again for the responses- my router is Sitecom WLAN Access Point 11M, model no. WL 013 but for some reason the programme my LT is using is Intel PROSet/Wireless...

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What irlrobins said... you might be giving them an IP address thats the same as yours.. change the last bit on other computers.

• Advertisement

iPink wrote:
    Hi guys,

Thanks again for the responses- my router is Sitecom WLAN Access Point 11M, model no. WL 013
    The WL-103 isn't a router, it's a wireless access point. (And not a very good one, at that). It doesn't do NAT, and doesn't have any provision for converting multiple IP addresses into a single public address. It is capable of being a DHCP client, but not a server. So if your IBB "receiver" isn't doing NAT, I'm not quite sure how you can even get one laptop working (because this access point needs an address as well as the laptop), and if the IBB device is doing NAT, then it should be doing DHCP as well.

Is the address that you're setting manually a 192.168.something address? What happens if you change the last digit of the IP address on the laptop that works? Can you still connect to the internet?

IBB radio gives a single WAN ip address. No DHCP facility.

Foxwood wrote:
    The WL-103 isn't a router, it's a wireless access point. (And not a very good one, at that).
    - I wasn't aware of any difference, it was sold to me as a router!
    It doesn't do NAT, and doesn't have any provision for converting multiple IP addresses into a single public address. It is capable of being a DHCP client, but not a server.
    -Sorry but I haven't a clue what a NAT is or a DHCP client, probably a client to allow multiple users?
    So if your IBB "receiver" isn't doing NAT, I'm not quite sure how you can even get one laptop working (because this access point needs an address as well as the laptop), and if the IBB device is doing NAT, then it should be doing DHCP as well.
    -again not really sure what you're talking about but I did get it working with one LT....wasn't easy tho!
    Is the address that you're setting manually a 192.168.something address? What happens if you change the last digit of the IP address on the laptop that works? Can you still connect to the internet?
    - The address is .90 & I changed it to 91 at the end on my LT but it stopped working...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

That explains a lot.
    What you need is a ROUTER! This is a box like what you have though possibly a little larger that has a port on the back called a WAN port. You plug that in to your IBB system and it then routes the broadband into a local area network so you would have an IP of say 192.168.1.2 etc etc.

The wireless access point you have is designed for plugging into an existing router or network that has DHCP on it (it gives out automatic IP addresses with all gateway/dns settings etc)

If its new.. bring it back and slap the fool who told you it was a router.

Unfortunately it isn't new, had it for around a year & a half now but it has always done the job for my LT so far, no real problems to speak of 'till now- so can't bring it back but do like the idea of slapping someone however...

Can you recommend any particular make & how much would I expect to pay?

Infinite thanks

ps lOVE the name...was going to go with Arwen myself but it was already gone!

• Advertisement

Linksys WRT54G will do the job. I use it on my IBB connection. Works a treat. About 70e online at microaid.ie last time I looked.

iPink wrote:
    -Sorry but I haven't a clue what a NAT is or a DHCP client, probably a client to allow multiple users?
    NAT is Network Address Translation - a NAT device takes one "public" IP address and allows a number if devices to share it. From the service providers point of view it looks like there is only one device in use on the network.
    -again not really sure what you're talking about but I did get it working with one LT....wasn't easy tho!
    I'm sure. The Access Point needs an IP address and so does the laptop, but IBB are only giving you one address, so I'm not sure how you got it working.
    - The address is 87.192.xxx.x0 & I changed it to x1 at the end on my LT but it stopped working...
    That's a public IP address (and you shouldn't publish it on boards - you may want to edit it out of your post). The IBB receiver is only going to work with that address. If that's what your laptop is using, what is the WL-103 using?

iPink wrote:
    Can you recommend any particular make & how much would I expect to pay?
    This comes highly recommended.
    This is what I use - I don't have any problems with it.

(Didn't see irlrobins post - the first link is the same router he recommended)

Foxwood wrote:
    NAT is Network Address Translation - a NAT device takes one "public" IP address and allows a number if devices to share it. From the service providers point of view it looks like there is only one device in use on the network.

I'm sure. The Access Point needs an IP address and so does the laptop, but IBB are only giving you one address, so I'm not sure how you got it working.
    Thanks for clearing that up!
    TBH not 100% sure myself, it works & that's all I needed to know!
    That's a public IP address (and you shouldn't publish it on boards - you may want to edit it out of your post). The IBB receiver is only going to work with that address. If that's what your laptop is using, what is the WL-103 using?
    Ooops- was slightly iffey about writing the address but saw other posts with them (didn't know the difference 'tween public & non...thanks for the heads up!), I just plugged the IBB ethernet cable into WL & messed around with the setting on my LT 'till I got a connection...so couldn't tell you!!

Thanks for the recommendations!

Advertisement