Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room Partitions - stud or block?

Options
  • 17-07-2006 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice on this, am getting costs together for a TF self build and was wondering whether the advantages of having block partitions between rooms( or some rooms) would be advisable.. as opposed to having studwork - will probobly double slab anyway. Does there have to a load bearing block wall anyway - just looked at the engineers drawings and just stud is indicated.
    Its a dormer bungalow 2700sq ft.

Jc

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi all,

- just looked at the engineers drawings and just stud is indicated.
    Its a dormer bungalow 2700sq ft.

Jc

It does n't mean its not a load bearing stud. You cant just throw in a block wall for economy sake, depending on the foundation in the location of the stud / block wall. There may not be necessary founds in to accomplish a change of stud to block now, considering the weight difference,

What was the original spec for the foundations. Was it to suit a block build or tf build. Any change now, should be discussed with the tf kit supplier

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 corkonian0110

Cheers Kadman,

Hadnt thought about the impact on the foundations, which incidently are sized for timber frame.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If the timber stud wall is load bearing the foundations should be the same as if it was a block wall above it. If it isn't load bearing then foundation isn't required. Are you using traditional strip foundations or a raft foundatation

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

the only advantage i see is that you'll have a solid wall to hang your pictures on - downsides would be having to have them in place before the tf goes in. also they would have to be very accurate - given the tolerances the tf should be specc'd to. also what would you tie the walls to ?

i'd say stick with the tf and doube slab if worried about sound - you can even insulate them if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 corkonian0110

Yeah, its seems to much hassle at this stage - its a strip foundation anyways. Will stick to my original plans, thanks lads.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, its seems to much hassle at this stage - its a strip foundation anyways. Will stick to my original plans, thanks lads.

jc
    Well to finish my point, if its strip foundations, there will be a strip in place for a load bearing wall if its timber or block

Advertisement