Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Query

Options
  • 17-07-2006 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Sorry bout this one but I cant seem to find an answer anywhere ..

Does anybody know what the deal is on registered cars in the North ? I have bought this car, BMW 328 I Convert, it is a northern reg. Now I live n work in Wicklow but have family in Armagh ?

How does the VRT work If I register the motor to my Family address ?

Does anybody know ?

Cheers

Mamma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Thats Great.

Thanks alot !!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If you regsiter the car to the family in the north and you are stopped by customs in Wicklow, are you going to tell them that you live in the North.

You could say that you work for someone in Wicklow and travel up and down everyday.

Hard to believe but i suppose its worth a good.

kluivert wrote:
    If you regsiter the car to the family in the north and you are stopped by customs in Wicklow, are you going to tell them that you live in the North.

You could say that you work for someone in Wicklow and travel up and down everyday.

Hard to believe but i suppose its worth a good.

If he's stopped and can't prove that he lives in the North then they can take the car.

Yeah I was thinking of something like that, but it's a bit flimsy and I dont know that its worth the hassle..

Its just that the VRT is a very hard pill to swallow. They are looking for 30% of the value of the car !! This makes it almost not worth while..

I suppose I am just looking for a way to soften the blow..

• Advertisement

Yo Mamma wrote:
    I suppose I am just looking for a way to soften the blow..

It's like paying your road tax, dwelling on it only makes it worse!;)

They take the car, you pop down with a tow truck the next day and pick it up.

kluivert wrote:
    They take the car, you pop down with a tow truck the next day and pick it up.

And then you go to jail.

No you dont.

If the customs stop you and take your car, the Gardas bring it to the depot for STORAGE, they issue you a warning to get it registered.

When you go to regsiter the car, you get a tow truck, pick the car up from the depot, pay the Gardas for the storage fee, bring the car to the VRO get it VRT'd and NCT Taxed and Insured and away you go.

You do not go to jail for not VRTing a car.

kluivert wrote:
    No you dont.

If the customs stop you and take your car, the Gardas bring it to the depot for STORAGE, they issue you a warning to get it registered.

When you go to regsiter the car, you get a tow truck, pick the car up from the depot, pay the Gardas for the storage fee, bring the car to the VRO get it VRT'd and NCT Taxed and Insured and away you go.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting just taking back a car which had been impounded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

kluivert wrote:

You could say that you work for someone in Wicklow and travel up and down everyday...

Hard to credit somebody here is suggesting fraud.

VRT is harsh but it's the law. It must be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Sure just chance it for a while. If the car gets taken you can just pay the impound fee and then pay the VRT then. Its not a big risk, your only gonna get lumbered with an impound fee on top of the VRT.
    Chance it and say you work in wicklow and live in the family address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Nuttzy wrote:
    Chance it and say you work in wicklow and live in the family address.

Bit of a commute that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 arkham

kluivert wrote:
    No you dont.

If customs decide to seize the car they take it to their station. Neither the Gardaí nor tow trucks are involved. However you are charged a penalty and must then have the car VRT'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

If the car is registered in the north and the address on your licence is for up north, once you have owned the car for 6 months you can get southern plates for something like €60 and avoid paying VRT. I know with a lad who used to work down here for the week (rented a room) and headed back up north for the weekend and there was shag all customs could do about making him pay VRT as his main address was up north where the car was registered.

Cucullan wrote:
    If the car is registered in the north and the address on your licence is for up north, once you have owned the car for 6 months you can get southern plates for something like €60 and avoid paying VRT. I know with a lad who used to work down here for the week (rented a room) and headed back up north for the weekend and there was shag all customs could do about making him pay VRT as his main address was up north where the car was registered.

Unfortunately not, you have to prove that you were resident in the North. This involves all sorts of paperwork, reciepts, bills etc - the kind of things you'll only have of you really were resident in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Anan1 wrote:
    Unfortunately not, you have to prove that you were resident in the North. This involves all sorts of paperwork, reciepts, bills etc - the kind of things you'll only have of you really were resident in the North.

I'd agree as I went through it. I originally was from the republic, moved up north but worked and commuted south of the border. Then I moved down south and registered my northern car without VRT but i had to provide a lot of documentation to show I had actually lived up north and a letter from a local garda stating that he was aware I had moved south.

I'd agree as I went through it. I originally was from the republic, moved up north but worked and commuted south of the border. Then I moved down south and registered my northern car without VRT but i had to provide a lot of documentation to show I had actually lived up north and a letter from a local garda stating that he was aware I had moved south.

Yeah, this is something I would be hard pressed to provide ! I could russell up a bill and maybe some documents but to get a guard to say that this was all nice n legal.....well thats another matter....

I am just going to chow down on the bitter pill that is VRT :'(

Incedently..... I think the value of the car has alot to do with it ! what I mean is that if your car is more expensive it actually works out that the VRT is lower ! whereas if the car is between 15 - 20k then u get Screwed

I shall bend over and prepare to recieve :S

Bluehair wrote:
    Bit of a commute that! :D

If you are in Ardee or Dundalk in the mornings, you will notice all the cars parked up on a hard shoulder before the motorway, where lads from the North gets lifts to Dublin to work everyday, you often see the same boys heading home and half of them asleep on the motorway.

To Henry Ford: Nice bit of editing.

Advertisement