Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat haze

Options
  • 17-07-2006 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Was checking the zero on on .17HMR yesterday at 100yds on a one inch grid paper zeroing target and found it very difficult to see the target clearly because of the heat "mirage". (Something which I hope is still legal to do !).

Is there a techniques for compensating for the bobbing motion that a target appears to have in hot conditions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

If you are using a silencer you can buy neprene covers that will reduce it or you can buy sun shades which is basically plastic tubing that extends the scope out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

If you are using a silencer you can buy neprene covers that will reduce it or you can buy sun shades which is basically plastic tubing that extends the scope out

i don't think he's talking about glare on the scope

its due to the hot air from the ground interacting with the cooler air from above. The only thing you can do i'd say is wait til it cools down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

As Vegeta suggests, it a hot air rising from the ground problem....

Admitedly, not a common problem in Ireland !
    Probably something more of concern to the long range boys&girls.... first time I've noticed it at 100 yards...

Advertisement