Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Relief for Tenants where Landlord lives outside of Ireland

Options
  • 17-07-2006 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

does anybody know more about this:

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/renting_a_flat_or_house/tax_relief_for_tenants.html

My landlord lives in Germany and I pay them gross rent per month of 500 euro. (500 euro x 20% = 100 euro). I now deduct 100 euro from the gross rent I pay (500 euro - 100 euro = 400 euro). My rent therefore is 400 euro per month.

If you are a PAYE employee and are paying rent to a landlord living outside Ireland, you account for the tax you deduct by applying for a tax allowance and completing Form Rent 1 (see how to apply). If you pay tax by self-assessment, you account for the tax you deduct in your notice of self-assessment which you send to Revenue. Failing to deduct tax from rent you pay to a landlord living outside Ireland will mean that you (and not the landlord) will be liable for any tax which should have been deducted.

My Landlord lives in the US, and I am bit worried here. What exactly do they mean that I am liable for the tax that should have been deducted?

many thanks
    Gagalina

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

think you'll get better feedback in this business forum - so i've moved it here...

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭gagalina

bump ;-)

nobody at all with any info?

thx,

Gagalina

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yup, it is up to you to withold the tax the landlord owes and remit it (i.e., write a cheque for it) to the revenue. You should ring the revenue or your accountant about this right away if you are in doubt. If you have paid a couple of months rent already, it might get interesting, because you may find you're going to have to tell his lordship that his rental income is going to be taking a holiday.

Advertisement