Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you charge for hosting?

Options
  • 17-07-2006 4:36pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity, what do you as designers/developers charge your clients for hosting and registration of the domain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Personally I dont mark up my hosting, as I always set the client up to be billed directly through whatever hosting company I use

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭dshakey

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Personally I dont mark up my hosting, as I always set the client up to be billed directly through whatever hosting company I use

me too. but sometimes i might charge an extra 20-40 euro if thier is database or e-commerce to be setup as well. cause that takes time.

dshakey wrote:
    me too. but sometimes i might charge an extra 20-40 euro if thier is database or e-commerce to be setup as well. cause that takes time.

Strictly speaking setting up a domain and hosting (IMO) are seperate to setting up their database.

So thereby I/hosting company would charge client X for domain/hosting - and I would charge Y for whatever work I did

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Hosting is a nice recurring income if you are a freelancer... why do you outsource all of it? I generated a recurring turnover of €15k with a direct cost of €1k in a previous business, which was a nice little earner with minimum support needed.

Personally, these days as a freelancer, I use H365 reseller account... and roughly charge the following:

- Brochure Site - €99 to €199
    - Database Driven Site - €199 to €299
    - Application / Ecommerce - €299 to €399
    - Domains - tiny markup - €10 .com, €80 .ie, etc.

Are you thinking of getting into the hosting kbannon or what do you charge at the moment?

Rgds,

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

i offer it as a courtesy to most clients but build integration with hosts into my cost ie like dshakey, if its e-commerce i'll add more to the overall cost. i obviously dont pay for their domain/ hosting, but its such a straightforward thing to setup (most of the time) that i think id just be jumping on the 'rip off ireland' bandwagon if i was to charge for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This Q was for a proposal at work (rather than my work from home) and I was just wondering.
    In the end, I stuck €100 onto the quote for Windys hosting/.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I charge similarily to DJB and I really don't think it's jumping on the "Rip Off Ireland" bandwagon.

The reason I try and make money from it is because they come to us for support. I tell all my clients beforehand, look I can get you cheaper hosting but we won't be able to support you with any problems with your mail etc. So for an extra charge you will be supported by us.

All but a few are happy to do this.

Tom

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Folks just a quick question if the OP doesn't mind me asking it here??

How much would you guys chare to Build, Maintain a site?? Do you charge yearly or just once off?
    Also when doing hosting do you pass all the details to them and say just represcribe every year etc??

Thanks
    Jonny.

jonny24ie wrote:
    How much would you guys chare to Build, Maintain a site?? Do you charge yearly or just once off?

The question to which there is only one answer.... "depends"!! :D Price depends on many factors: type of site, functionality, features, cms, and more often than not, the client budget will determine the price and it is up to you to design a site to fit into that budget. If a client wants a €2k website, that's what they'll get but if they want a €10k website, they get all the extra bells and whistles.

Maintenance is a totally seperate matter. If I'm doing a brochure website that is not going to change much, I don't put in a CMS. If they want changes, I'll make them for them... and I don't charge for something small that takes 5 mins, once every blue moon. But if they are going to doing updates on a regular basis, I usually develop a CMS for them so they can do it themselves. Developing a CMS then adds to the development price! :D
    jonny24ie wrote:
    Also when doing hosting do you pass all the details to them and say just represcribe every year etc??

I set the customer up with hosting and manage it for them (not much management needed, TBH). If they want access to create databases, manage email addresses, add domains, etc. I give them a username and password for the CP but usually they don't want the hassle of it so I don't usually give it out. Don't want them deleting their domain from the server or something mad like that! :D I bill them annually, a month before the renewal date and this is stated in the "ongoing costs" section of the proposal and contract signed by the client.

jonny24ie wrote:
    Folks just a quick question if the OP doesn't mind me asking it here??

Thanks
    Jonny.

To build - a one off charge
    To maintain - usually a monthly fee (also have to factor in how much maintenance is required, etc)

And yes when I pass the hosting over to the client, I instruct them that this is a yearly occuring thingy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thanks guys, the website that will be built of for a shop. Its going to be pretty basic with the items in which they stock, details of items and prices.
    I would imagine a good 30-40 pages will be built but don't know how much places would charge for this, its for a friend so it will be more of a you will save X amount by me doing this for you than anything else so how much would that X amount be??
    I also will be updating it a number of times a month but nothing major!!

I advise creating your own thread and I'll reply there. You're on the verge of hijacking this thread! :D

Done!! ;)

Advertisement