Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork internet

Options
  • 17-07-2006 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I am about to move to Cork and am looking for opinions on what are good internet providers there. I am particularly intersted in wireless, prices would be helpful too, but not required.

I am specifically interested in how reliable the service is, how fast the service is, and generally how usable the service is. I plan on being in the city center, at least initially, who knows where I will end up eventually :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Digiweb for Wireless internet.. www.digiweb.ie and look at the Metro service...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

id stay well celar of wirless if you can ge Eircom or Esat, or who ever yo choose on a wet day the speeds are worse than 56k dialup ....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I can confrim that irishbroadband in Cork is SLOWER than dial up! Was there recently and friend had it.. was shocked!! Point is... get a phone line and pay a little extra.. you will hate yourself if you get wireless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

the 3g store in merchants quay can sort you out for an eircom connection if you want it. can get a wireless modem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 corkonian0110

Park outside the main entrance to fitz's park and its free.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

Park outside the main entrance to fitz's park and its free.....:D

hehe.. I was thinking however of using it from say a laptop while in the hotel. I dont yet have a perm place, and I dont plan on getting one until I can see it in person. I dont like committing to a 1 year lease based off a picture on a webpage when you dont really know how old that picture is, what the real quality of the place or street below is, etc. So wireless has advantages that a fixed line solution doesnt have.

As for the comments of when its wet, I can compensate with that a little bit (although there are more limits on effective RF power in the EU than US) with antennas and other goodies.

I just wanted to avoid going to a cafe several times a day to check email and all that :/ but odds are I will have to do that for a few days when I first get over there anyway.

Speaking of which does anyone know of a good cafe near the north main street shopping centre?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

On North Main st. your best bet is probably Area 51, the gaming place.

And yeah, I second the vote of no confidence in IBB - had them at my last place, was all of a quarter mile from the base station and yet they still couldn't give me a working connection for over 4 months (they eventually sorted it by moving me to a different subnet, confirming my suspicions that the entire problem with the company is that they've massively oversold a rickety network which cant handle the load it's under)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

I recall reading some time ago that there was a company that did city wide wifi in cork as the first city wide deployment in ireland or some such. I dont recall the name of the company, but I am sure there are others. Preferably for a reasonable cost, although I think compared to US based prices I am likely to not find anything comparable. We have mobile data plans here with unlimited bandwidth (no caps, no nothing) that do several hundred kbps for like $40/mo.

Advertisement