Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring an old dog hill walking?

Options
  • 17-07-2006 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of bringing my 11 year old golden retiriever (who walks fairly slow but can still get a bit of energy when she wants to/see's a cat) and my 3 1/2 month old golden retriever to walk the sugar loaf tonight. Would it be unfair on them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I wouldn't be inclined to do any long walks in this weather to be honest, unless they have the opportunity to cool down in a lake or river.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

completely agreei would take the younger dog out as long as he can cool down, and bring the older one on a less hilly walk, have you tired arthriaid, its a suppliment you can buy and it natural to help with lub in the joints just for dogs you are noticing slowing down can be gotten from your local vet, and doesnt need to be perscription, just give him double his weight ir 23 kg dog get 46ml once a day and then after 2-3 weeks if he is doing well ya can half the dose, works well with most dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Thanks, will try that. I brought them for a walk by the sea instead, and thank god! The older one was clearly in bits, I had to stop a few times and pour the drinking water I had for them onto her back. She saw the water and sprinted for it. She had such a relieved look on her face!

The pup was still going mental, had her first swim though - very funny.

ya should of taken pics!!!!

jules80 wrote:
    ya should of taken pics!!!!

Here is a recent pic, will that do?

• Advertisement

sssssoooooo cute!!!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Gorgeous dogs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SusieBelle

They're adoreable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

joejoem wrote:
    Bring an old dog hill walking? QUOTE]

Resisting temptation to make 'new tricks' joke.

Thanks! They are beautiful alright, and spoilt.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

joejoem wrote:
    Here is a recent pic, will that do?

Beautiful doggies ,Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Smiley101

I sometimes bring my 14 year old dog for an hour long walk to a local forestry which is on a large hill. He absolutely adores going and gets really excited in the car on the way. The trick is to let him off the lead so he can go at his own pace and stop at intervals to let him have a little breather. Also need to make sure he gets plenty of water.
    This seems to do him the world of good.....better than sleeping in his kennel all day which he usually does. He's 14 and in good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If you're taking dogs hillwalking, can you please ensure you take them on a lead? Farmers are rightly upset when dogs chase sheep etc (not a problem on Sugarloaf however), and much of our access to the hills is dependant on farmer goodwill.

Advertisement