Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of spaying?

Options
  • 17-07-2006 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

hey,

how much can I expect to pay to have my retriever bitch spayed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It depends on a few factors, weight of dog obviously is going to cost more, probably from about €85-100 euros, maybe a bit more I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

My dog weighs just 10 kilos and her spay cost €175 a couple of months ago:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It really depends on where in the country you are. It is way cheaper here than it would be in parts of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Just want to add this:

THE DOGS TRUST SUBSIDISED NEUTERING & SPAYING SCHEME

If you are in receipt of benefits you may qualify for the scheme.
    Owners pay €14.00 per dog to be neutered and spayed and the Dogs Trust will cover the remaining balance.

Please bring in proof of the following benefits to qualify for the discount;

Unemployment Assistance
    Disability Allowance
    Supplementary Welfare Allowance
    Blind Pension
    Carer's Allowance
    Old Age Non-Contributory Allowance
    Pre-Retirement Allowance
    Widowers' Non-Contributory Allowance
    Deserted Wives' Allowance
    Prisoners' Wife Allowance
    One Payment Family Allowance
    Orphans' Non-Contributory Pension
    Please ask your vet for details and book your dog in now or contact The Dogs Trust on 0121 09426 or dogstrust@eircom.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

our vets does the trust spay and neuter also if ya fyi

under 10kg is usually about 130-140
    10-20kg about 170 - 180
    21-40 kg - 190-210
    40+kg talkin anywhere between 220 - 250

all incs post op care, meds, food, buster collar, inj's, stitches out 14 days post op,

so as above all depends on weights, need anymore info pm me!!!!!

sorry above is for bitches, males are cheaper to get done as there is not as much work involved... you dont have to go looking for their bits!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

We have both our dogs neutered both females......our vets were quoting us stupid amounts to get them done so we travelled to Slane and got them done for less then half what my vets were charging me. That included the post op care, stitches coming out etc. Its a joke the prices that vets charge in Dublin for the same service its like everything else you need to shop around, obviously you also have to make sure the vet is good at what they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

un-subsidised neutering in this country is ridiculously over-priced.

Find a vet, somwhere off the beaten track, a *nice* personable vet, (im sure somone here can recommend a vet that isnt a rip-off merchant), tell him / her what you can reasonably afford let him / her advise you of your options, he may advise you try get some kind of subsidised neutering, or he / she may say they will do it for a reasonable price, if they dont advise you in a way you are happy about, then go away and decide, or find another vet.
    You would expect such advice from your GP, so why not your vet?
    Contrary to popular belief among some vets, part of their job is to advise you of the options.

Basically, find a good vet whos not a rip-off merchant, and then stick with him / her. And tell them you will be doing so.
    A good vet should want clients, not just emergency payalot visits.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Thanks everyone. They are two retrievers, one is 3 1/2 months so I want to get her done when she gets to 6 months. The other is 11 so I'm not sure if she needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

is that 11yrs, just want to makes sure! if she is healthy i would advise you go ahead with it, as entire bitches get older they can suffer from womb infections or pyometra which can be very very serious if not caught early, obviously you would be concerned about puttin your dog throught unnessacery surgery but you just gotta weight up the options.... its not a sure thing that she wil get a pyo but it is a possibility just google pyometra and you get lots of info.....
    if it was my dog i would go to your local vet get blood work done to see how healthy your dog is as in liver and kidney functions and then if all is good go ahead and get it done.

she maybe 11 but i have met a 17yr old doggie who still had full sight and hearing only thing was a slight touch of the old arthur!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

jules80 wrote:
    is that 11yrs, just want to makes sure! if she is healthy i would advise you go ahead with it, as entire bitches get older they can suffer from womb infections or pyometra which can be very very serious if not caught early, obviously you would be concerned about puttin your dog throught unnessacery surgery but you just gotta weight up the options.... its not a sure thing that she wil get a pyo but it is a possibility just google pyometra and you get lots of info.....
    if it was my dog i would go to your local vet get blood work done to see how healthy your dog is as in liver and kidney functions and then if all is good go ahead and get it done.

she maybe 11 but i have met a 17yr old doggie who still had full sight and hearing only thing was a slight touch of the old arthur!!!!

Thats good to know! Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement