Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting your home valued

Options
  • 17-07-2006 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Is there a fee for this or should we expect an estate agent to do this free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It depends on what you want the valuation for.

If its for a bank (go to estate agent) or insurance (go to quantity surveyor) purposes, you will have to pay, seeing as they are (a) doing work (b) putting their name on the line.

If its for dinner parties, I'm sure the estate agent will oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I just want to find out how much its worth because im thinking of selling it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Estate agent would be what you need, but get more than one for a more balenced price guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

How much does it cost though?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well if your looking for something on paper then it could be €50 to €100, however if you tell them your interested in selling and ask to view and value with a possibility of selling the house, then they probably won't charge anything.

Find out how much they charge etc. while your at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

junii wrote:
    Is there a fee for this or should we expect an estate agent to do this free?
    If it's a sale they'll do it for free or should do it for free anyways. Get at least three valuations, preferably five, and beware that some of the smaller agents will quote a higher valuation to get the business and then tell you after a few weeks that demand isn't what it was and you'll need to reduce price. Their commission should be around 1 per cent plus Vat and advertising costs to sell the place. To be honest now is a bad time to sell, better off waiting til late August/early September when the main selling season starts again.

If you want a written valuation to be used by bank etc I'm told it's around e175 including Vat.

i don't work for an estate agent by the way but deal with them occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

An honest valuation specifies a range of values as the estate agent cannot know exactly what the house will sell for. Don't just pick the agent with the highest valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

junii wrote:

They should give you an estimate for free.

Sherry Fitz did so did Lisney's and Hooke and MacDonald for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

junii wrote:

150-700 depending who does it.

Advertisement