Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best mortgage rate around...

Options
  • 17-07-2006 6:40pm

...paying about 1200 per month with about 250k left to pay over the next 30 years. Think the rate is about 4.25% with B of I.

Anyone know of any other particularly good offers or rates at the moment? House may have gone up in value - heard that rates change when the amount is less than 60% of the value. That true?

Btw, unless I got some extremely good fixed rate, would prefer to go on fixed for a year or two only and thereafter variable, just in case someone made an offer I couldn't refuse.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Conor74 wrote:
    Btw, unless I got some extremely good fixed rate, would prefer to go on fixed for a year or two only and thereafter variable, just in case someone made an offer I couldn't refuse.

With some mortgages you can keep the fixed mortgage going and simply change the collatoral (i.e. the house) on which it is secured, should you sell the house. I have been talking to NIB about a 5 year fixed on this basis (APR I am quoted over the 5 yrs is 4.2%- which I consider to be reasonable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Conor74 wrote:
    ...paying about 1200 per month with about 250k left to pay over the next 30 years. Think the rate is about 4.25% with B of I.

Anyone know of any other particularly good offers or rates at the moment? House may have gone up in value - heard that rates change when the amount is less than 60% of the value. That true?

Conor,

How much is the house/apt worth atm?

NIB offer 3 ECB trackers that reduce when you house price increases.
    I was on 4% and now will be going down to 3.74 next level is around 3.5 so there is a lot to be saved.

Check it out

Q

Advertisement