Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Msn Live Error

• 17-07-2006 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Please move if this posted in wrong list

Im using MSN Live and everytime i sign in i get the following message:

"Due to a connection problem, changes you make might not be applied to other computers you use"

None of my contacts are listed. I removed MSN and downloaded it again and signed in no probs. I signed out ever since then i keep get the above message. I have searched the web, but found no answers apart from reinstalling which i have already done.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carlimited

Mine does the same thing - typical Microsoft buggy program. It seems to function correctly however, but I did notice that when I moused over the icon in the tray today, it said "Connection error".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

I'm having the same problems myself today with MSN. I have also reinstalled MSN LIVE, it worked the first time, but since then i can't see any of my contacts. When i put the cursor over the MSN icon in the system tray it says "Connection Error" ? I think it has to be something to do with Microsoft myself :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Roy16 wrote:
    I think it has to be something to do with Microsoft myself :confused:
    Well... erh yeah it's coded by them, nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 BLUE-EYE-BOY

Achilles wrote:
    Well... erh yeah it's coded by them, nuff said.

Unless you have something constructive to say, keep your comments to yourself. Looking are comment you probably haven't a clue.

I unistalled MSN again and ran disk clean up. I got the following error message....

INSTALLER INFORMATION:

Could not write Start Page to key
    \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main. Verfiy
    that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact
    your personal support.

Anuone have any idea's..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Unless you have something constructive to say, keep your comments to yourself. Looking are comment you probably haven't a clue.

I unistalled MSN again and ran disk clean up. I got the following error message....

INSTALLER INFORMATION:

Could not write Start Page to key
    \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main. Verfiy
    that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact
    your personal support.

Anuone have any idea's..

Haven't got a clue? I know more about Microsoft than you think. Incidentially....

You're probably running without admin privilages or have a corrupted Registry. If neither of the above are true then you're probably running a service that's blocking the MSN ports, if not then have you used and then uninstalled Norton Internet Security? That program is a bitch to get rid of even when you think it's gone... and normally it's firewall stays turned on regardless even if it's supposedly uninstalled and blocks... seemingly random ports. Can prevent from web browsing at times too.

Yes my answers are vague but then you haven't provided us with enough information, recent software installed, os... system specs etc?

Perhaps a full reinstall is in order but that's drastic I wouldn't do it just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 BLUE-EYE-BOY

I dont use Norton anymore, i got rid of that years ago. The only changes that have happened in the last few days are Windows update and Zone Alarm updates.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yeah I'm getting the connection error message when I hover over the icon in the task bar, but its still functioning correctly, which is odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

i've always used Msn Messenger, but this doesn't seem to have been fixed with the latest. It is damn fussy when connecting at first, I find for whatever reason if you open up something else that connects to the net (your browser is usually best) and load up a webpage or something and then try sign in with Messenger it works :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

Do you get this when you hover cursor over msn icon.

post-73154-1153261559.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

I had the same problem myself and it only happened after the Automatic Updates. I just restored back before this and it works fine. I put the cursor the over the msn icon and it comes up "Connection Error".

Im not sure if though if everyone has being affected by the Windows Update, but my guess you have being.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭revolver2k

There's a post on their official blog about this issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carlimited

It's weird that it doesn't do it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭revolver2k

Ok well i just opened the add/remove programs section of the control panel, and selected repair, and it seems to be back to normal.

It looks to me like Windows Live Messenger caches your contact list on the hard disk rather than the server as MSN Messenger did. One of my contacts recently changed her name. If I log in to Agile Messenger on my phone or MSN 7.5 on my laptop the old name still shows up.

I also had this problem and followed the steps in the blog. It worked but I lost all my custom emoticons and Meegos. Highly considering sticking to version 7.5 for the moment.

Advertisement