Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defragmentation/Restore issues.

• 17-07-2006 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I have recently re-formatted my hard-drive, which I have done numerous times in the past, with no problems. However, when I try to run Disc defragmentation on the drive, it says that "Some of the files on this volume could not be defragmented. Please check the list for these files" - but there are NO files on the list! And I don't know if it's related or not, but I have tried to run the sytem restore feature, and even though the set-points are being made (automatically AND manually), the restore feature doesn't work properly. It goes through the motions and stuff, but when it is complete, it says that the operation was unsuccesfull, and no changes were made. I have tried several different restore points as a reference. Are the 2 issues related, and what (if any) are the solutions? Thanks! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

OS (inc. SP)?
    Computer make / model -- does it have a restore partition?
    What drives is System Restore monitoring?
    How much free space is there?
    List of software (Symantec/Norton software install?)

Have you tried running chkdsk first?
    Failing that - (after chkdsk) purge system restore points, boot to safe mode and perform defrag; post the full defrag result if there's still an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carlimited

It is a CompaqS5200NX, with the Restore Partition removed. It is monitoring the "C" drive, and there is 33GB left on it. There are no unusual boxes checked-off under "System Restore". There is no Symantec or Norton installed. I have not installed anything different on this machine other than games, that I have had installed for at least 3 years now. I reformat this machine 3 times a year to remove any crap that finds it's way onto the drive. The defrag worked fine up until I had to refromat this drive twice in the last month (my own fault - I screwed with something). I have only read of this situation once (with a newsletter I get from "ask.leo.com", and he said to the person who was having the same problem that it could be a background service that is running and not allowed to defrag BECAUSE it IS running. Like I said, the only programs other than games are programs that I keep on a disc (Winzip, etc.) that I have used for years without problems.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try defrag in safe mode
    Try contig and pagedfrg from www.sysinternals.com
    contig should list files that cant defrag
    pagedfrg will defrag some sys files.

try reducing swap file / system restore to 0 for the defrag

IIRC O&O allows you to click files on the GUI

defrag.exe c: -b (or /b) to defrag bootfiles and preload folder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Have you got any files over 2gb ... found this to be a prob recently with a server running sql with lareg database files and trying a windows defrag..

Ended up using diskeeper ... I think there is a trial version

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carlimited

No, but I do have some big games (1.7+ G.B.). However, nothing different than before this happened. Is it possible for files to migrate from my "d" drive to my "c" drive, and therefore put some files on one drive, and cause the defrag or restore feature not to work because the files are misplaced? If so, is there a cure?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

move the big files off
    defrag
    move them back

Advertisement