Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man bags

• 17-07-2006 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a man bag, preferably one that is black. I've put a picture in so you know what I mean. Imagine the picture, only black.

manbag.jpg

Does anyone know where I can get one in Dublin City centre, if at all possible and how much I'd be expecting to pay for one? It would be much handier for me going into work than the backpack I'm currently using.

Oh and minus 100 cool points for anyone who points out that I found the picture on a site whose url featured the words 'citygirldesigns' and minus 1000 cool points for anyone who attempts to start a man bags are ghey debate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Try River Island menswear section I'm pretty sure they have one in black. I know they have a leather Diesel one anyway.
    I'd also try Burton menswear, Topshop and other highstreet menswear stores they're most likely to have them.
    The cost can vary..anything from €20 I'd expect.
    Good luck in your quest:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

man bags are gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

MrJones wrote:
    man bags are gay.

who cares.....

if you want one get one, try the "Next" shop on graffon st, upstairs i think

just saying man :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

I know mate :rolleyes:

But so are pink shirts -- but its everyone to themselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

They're not gay in France. Everyone, almost, uses them. No one wants to spoil the line of nice clothes with wallets, bunches of keys, cig packs etc. etc. I even have two, and I score -4.3 on the ghey-o-meter. I might even get a black leather one at the weekend. So there.

fair enough man. id say you score 4.3 (+ 5.6999) on that gay-meter though.
    Hagar wrote:
    I even have two, and I score -4.3 on the ghey-o-meter. I might even get a black leather one at the weekend. So there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's a minus I tell you, a minus, I never bought the shoes.

hey stay on topic here. we're talking man bags not shoes godammit.
    for that you're a -1(-10) :D
    Hagar wrote:
    It's a minus I tell you, a minus, I never bought the shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Personally I use a Medics bag from WW2, look quite stylish if I do say so myself.

• Advertisement

It takes a real man to wear a man bag.

Man bags ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭SitUbuSit

Why the heck are people so scared of looking gay?

Wear whatever you want; as long as you like it, who gives a ****!

Plus looking gay only implies you have some style and that's something everyone should embrace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

grimloch wrote:
    man bags are ghey debate.
    There's nothing to debate. It's a cold hard fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

What If I wear a pink shirt and a man bag, will that cancel it out and and I'd be straight again? Hang on, I also use fake tan and pluck my eyebrow's, do they come into the equation, I've also drank in a few gays bars and sing along to a certain Electric Six song on my ipod; is there a formula for all this, I used to think that been gay ment you liked other guys.

I got mine in Debenhams, they didn't have a great range but have a good sale at the moment so you might pick up a decent one (bag not man).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

man bags are gay
    Jack Baeur Bags are in.

man bags are gay
    Jack Baeur Bags are in.

With a Jack Bauer Bar you're not gay, you a spy who keeps saving the world. TBH, I'm thinking of just borrowing my daughter's Winnie The Pooh bag, that way every one'll just slag me off, my sexuality won't be questioned and no one will knick it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Aren't these just normal bags? Man bags are the smaller ones that do look gay but who cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Whirl

my man bag! though quite expensive :o
    bagci3.th.jpg

gillo wrote:
    What If I wear a pink shirt and a man bag, will that cancel it out and and I'd be straight again?
    im afraid it doesnt. it just confirms the fact :D
    gillo wrote:
    Hang on, I also use fake tan and pluck my eyebrow's, do they come into the equation,
    i dont know what to say to you :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Try TK Maxx, they usually have some lying about.You could have a lok at some crumpler bags, they're good quality and look great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

MrJones wrote:
    i dont know what to say to you :eek:

How about "Hello Sailor!"

Kidding.

Man bags are not gay, they are simply congress bags that don't say things like "42nd ASCO Annual Meeting June 2-6, 2006 Georgia World Congress Center Atlanta, Georgia" and have a bit of design, useful for carrying all sorts of stuff in.

I was using congress bags to carry my stuff around in years before man bags became fashionable.

Trend setter or nerd? You decide. :D

Getting one in Dublin, What about BT2 on Grafton Street?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Man bags are gay. However the one you have in the pic looks very very like a DJ's recod bag. They are cool, and you don't have to be a DJ to carry one.

Here are a few links. Some of them are kinka flecky and tacky, but I'm sure you can fine one that suits you.:

http://www.djstore.co.uk/cgi-bin/group.pl?group=cases_bags
    http://www.htfr.com/recordbags/
    http://www.djmart.com/recordbags.html
    http://www.decks.co.uk/products/dj_bags?reset=1http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&q=dj+record+bag&btnG=Search

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'd get one of those Technics bags, if I was to go for that style of bag.. But I'm gonna start just wearing a Jansport bag around.. They go with my style, and there's absolutely no beating their storage capacity, and durablility, aswell as the amount of compartments..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Man bags are great, and I think they're ideal for not wrecking the look of your clothes with digital cameras,phones, smokes etc, but they do look a little gay.

Walking around sydney (huge gay population), with a man bag on at night opened my eyes to this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Pop quiz: Where is Burton located? And Debenhams for that matter?

I had a quick look around today but I didn't manage to get to all the shops. This was entirely due to me not knowing where places were and my reluctance to cross the Liffey due to extreme laziness.

grimloch wrote:
    Pop quiz: Where is Burton located? And Debenhams for that matter?

I had a quick look around today but I didn't manage to get to all the shops. This was entirely due to me not knowing where places were and my reluctance to cross the Liffey due to extreme laziness.
    The Jervis St. Shopping centre has both Burton and Debenhams and a few other mens stores also afaicr.

Excellent, topshop lives in there too. I can take down about 8 birds with one stone tomorrow.

I'll have quite the day searching tomorrow.detective.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Try Urban Outfitters in temple bar, theyre your one stop shop for anything fashionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

They're not gay anymore cos Jack Bauer has one, but his is manly

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote:
    Man bags are gay. However the one you have in the pic looks very very like a DJ's recod bag. They are cool, and you don't have to be a DJ to carry one.

Would most vinyl bags not have the added bulk of all the padding??
    Other than that do look cool, and if you're smart you can try blaggin your way into the club.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

grimloch wrote:
    Imagine the picture, only black.
    But how!

Oh and minus 100 cool points for anyone who points out that I found the picture on a site whose url featured the words 'citygirldesigns' and minus 1000 cool points for anyone who attempts to start a man bags are ghey debate.
    Cool points? You recently post anon on PI mate? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

daRobot wrote:
    I think they're ideal for not wrecking the look of your clothes with digital cameras,phones, smokes etc

Wouldnt an attache briefcase do?

Cool points? You recently post anon on PI mate? :)

That sass has just earned you the priveledge of being of being the first person I report to the SIGPO. Thought you were safe only being 26 pixels over? Not today boyo.smiliepacman.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

grimloch wrote:
    That sass has just earned you the priveledge of being of being the first person I report to the SIGPO. Thought you were safe only being 26 pixels over? Not today boyo.smiliepacman.gif
    I've been reported already. :P
    The person who changes them also is over the limit, I may strike a deal.

*sass*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Manbags are handbags. Dresses would be quite handy in this weather lately, how long before some shop starts to make that trendy too?! The manbag is a fad. Just wait and see...

I saw a guy in the bank the otherday who had to reach into his manbag to pull out his wallet. Thats just wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

A lad I worked with started carrying a man-bag a few years back. We all ripped him a new one when we saw it. He wouldn't give it up, so we all started stealing lipstick and mascara from our wives and girlfriends and putting it in the bag.

He still would not stop, so his work buddies (us) got in touch with his Korean buddies (this dude is Korean) to organise an intervention to stop the man-bag madness. Luckily he stopped carrying it before we had to actually go ahead with the intervention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

i think bt2 have them in black... expensive but they have a 50-75% sale atm and I think they're reduced to a good price... I saw them in blanch, but I'm sure they have them in town too...

they are gay definitely but if you see a korean person or some french person or that wearing one then it doesn't matter as much coz theyre from a different culture. But if you see an friend from Ireland who grew up with you wearing one, it's a bit much.
    Gandhi wrote:
    A lad I worked with started carrying a man-bag a few years back. We all ripped him a new one when we saw it. He wouldn't give it up, so we all started stealing lipstick and mascara from our wives and girlfriends and putting it in the bag.

He still would not stop, so his work buddies (us) got in touch with his Korean buddies (this dude is Korean) to organise an intervention to stop the man-bag madness. Luckily he stopped carrying it before we had to actually go ahead with the intervention.

MrJones wrote:
    they are gay definitely but if you see a korean person or some french person or that wearing one then it doesn't matter as much coz theyre from a different culture. But if you see an friend from Ireland who grew up with you wearing one, it's a bit much.

I was going to rip that comment apart, but it's too much hassle instead I am going to beat you around the head with my man bag
    You better run buy, some of its gayness might rub off on you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Maybe you could cancel out some of the obvious gayness of the man bag by modifying it with symbols of pure masculinity? Gun stickers? Draw a fillet steak with tip-ex on the side.

Fight the gayness!

• Advertisement

no my masculinity genes are stronger than any of that gayness stuff so im afraid it wouldn't rub off on me, thankfully.
    ya these man bags are causing alot of consternation. the only way to inject a bit of masculinity when wearing these is to wear wellies as well (but then again theyd probably be designer gay looking wellies so ..ah forget it..
    gillo wrote:
    I was going to rip that comment apart, but it's too much hassle instead I am going to beat you around the head with my man bag
    You better run buy, some of its gayness might rub off on you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

If you can't see the need for a man bag then you've obviosly never wore a suit or a pair of trousers in your life. Men wearing suits with their phone and wallets in their pockets look like their mammy dressed them and they snuck the wallet in after.It looks plain wrong and defeats the purpose of wearing nice clothes.

hey stay on topic man>>>man bags are gay ok :)
    wonderboy wrote:
    If you can't see the need for a man bag then you've obviosly never wore a suit or a pair of trousers in your life. Men wearing suits with their phone and wallets in their pockets look like their mammy dressed them and they snuck the wallet in after.It looks plain wrong and defeats the purpose of wearing nice clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Crumpler make great ehhh things you can carry yokes in. - http://www.crumpler.co.uk/2.0/site.html try looking at their laptop ones first, they are slimmer than the messenger ones.

What word didn't I say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Why don't you just get a backpack, if you're afraid of looking gay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

wonderboy wrote:
    If you can't see the need for a man bag then you've obviosly never wore a suit or a pair of trousers in your life.
    Yeah we've never wore trousers in our life :rolleyes:

OMG my wallet spoils the liines of my suit \o/ I know what I need...

A pair of balls!

wonderboy wrote:

That was the main reason for getting one. Although my wallet lives in my back pocket under my arse and that will never ever change. Suit pockets can be quite low and phones/MP3 players/keys and what have you produce nowt but nasty looking bulges on either side of your legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

I wouldn't call it gay, but you are setting yourself up for that sort of slagging/abuse. I think they do look a bit effeminate though. If it won't go into a pocket comfortably, I don't need it with me. But that's just me. To each their own. A record bag doesn't look quite as out of place, but you couldn't carry one if you're not casually dressed. A briefcase might suit. Doesn't have to be one of those rigid ones that make it look like you're about to deliver a budget speech.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

39011_b.jpg

Wha abt these? I think they're dead handy, especially for cyclin, and u can wear it across ur chest or on one o yer shoulders

I was gonna get a messenger's bag, they had nice ones in Dunnes for like a tenner, but i cant be arsed really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

• Advertisement
Advertisement