Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free view box

• 17-07-2006 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

I see thaT Film 4 is free from 23 july, but you need a free view box or cable.

Do these free view boxes work in the republic - how much would they cost

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Freeview is Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) which works in parts of the Republic, depending on if you get your signal from NI transmitters or Wales.

Since you're in Dublin city, then the short answer is no.

Film4 will also be supposedly free on satellite, but we've yet to see what their definition of "free" is, as it can be different from everyone else's meaning of the word (thinking back on More4)!

It's possible that it'll be free on NTL too, though again, too early to tell. Channel Four are vague with the information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Do you think it would work in sligo, as my parents live there and get the signal from EnnisKillen i think, what is the quality like and what other channels can you get.

Thanks for the advise

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If their signals are from Enniskillen (Brougher Mtn Transmitter) and their analogue signals are very good, then it would be worth trying. Signal does need to be pretty strong.

For a list of channels see here:
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/channels/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

ill give it a go then,

any body know of any shops in dublin that sell these free view or digital boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Slick de ville

AdrianII wrote:
    ill give it a go then,

any body know of any shops in dublin that sell these free view or digital boxes
    Maplins have a couple...not very expensive either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'd be suprised if you pick it up, people living in London need to have roof aerials to pick up freeview (without Digital breakup) so I don't think it'd work, unless you have a massive aerial.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I'd have the feeling your wasting you time aswell.
    Wait till the verdict of film4 and get a dish and receiver. Or if it goes the other way a dish, skybox and a freeview card.
    It's a safer bet with satellite aswell.

Advertisement