Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you wear glasses.....

• 17-07-2006 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

I've worn glasses nearly all my life, yet strangely in all that time (28 now), I've never had a pair of sunglasses, prescription or otherwise. I was in Poland last year for my holidays and I'm going back there again this year. While there last year I was really annoyed when I was in the mountains because I had to squint so much, I couldn't enjoy the beautiful scenery. It wasn't just in the mountains, it was everywhere I went as during the summer Poland is a very bright and hot place.
    So I decided on Saturday it wasn't going to be the same situation and I popped along to Specsavers and ordered some new glasses and for the first time in my life a prescription pair of sunglasses. WOW. What a difference this has made. It's unbelievable, I can see things so clearly now, I barely have to squint and there is very little glare. I can't believe how sharp and defined everything looks.

The point of this thread is that I am sure there are other people like me who wear glasses on a daily basis who don't own a pair of prescription sunglasses. I never considered getting a pair of prescription sunglasses before, as I thought it would be expensive (it wasn't really), and I just never really considered the need for it, I could just squint after all and manage just fine. If you wear glasses everyday and don't own a pair, go do it now, you'll be doing yourself such a favour and it's incredible just how clear and sharp everything is on a sunny day from now on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

actually i wear glasses. and ive been debating whether to get prescription sunglasses or ordinary ones coz i wear contacts..you see my dilemma!
    ya i'll have t oget a pair of prescription ones i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Me girlfriend wears glasses for 20 odd years and got a pair of specially made sun glasses. We were in portugal last week and she was delighted with them, so id say go for it. I thinkl they cost a bit extra than usual pairs but it will be worth it in the end . imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you avail of a two for one then you can get the second pair as perscription.
    It's just a coating on the normal glasses - maybe you can get it added to existing ones ?

You can also get clip ons - tinted or polarised if you prefer.

React-o-light , no idea how good these are as I've never had as perscription ones, unless they were very fast probably not the best for driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I got my second pair polarized, great for fishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

but then when you put them on you cant take them of and look like a tool indoors with them on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Not a problem, I only use mine when I'm looking at things. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

but then when you put them on you cant take them of and look like a tool indoors with them on.

I'll just swap them for the normal pair. It's no problem really. With the benefits they bring I don't mind having to carry two pairs. I usually always carry a backpack with me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

How well do reactions lenses work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

OSiriS wrote:
    How well do reactions lenses work?

I don't have a pair myself, but two folk I work with have no complaints about them. (Sorry - I know that's not overly helpful)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

wierd was just thinking this morning about getting a pair of prescription sunnies as I wear contacts but they are annoying as if I go swimming I have to take them out and then cant see outta my normal sunglasses - I know where to go now so! How much to they charge for the eye test? I know my contact prescription but they insist you get another eye test for glasses - so annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

reactors can be a pain I used to have them but often they stay dark inside and you look like a knob

I used to wear glasses and i got a pair of prescription ones too,
    I hates squinting too that prompted me to get contacts and now i love wearing fashionable sunglasses

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I too wear glasses, but I don't mind them in the slightest. I have contacts but I think they are a pain in the arse. I haev a few pairs of really nice sunglasses but rarely use them as I usually can't be assed to wear contacts too, and I'm a bit too blind to just wear sunnies. The thing is I've never seen any glasses that I'd like to have as prescription. I only really wear sunglasses like this or this and I doubt you can get these in perscription format...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I too wear glasses, but I don't mind them in the slightest. I have contacts but I think they are a pain in the arse. I haev a few pairs of really nice sunglasses but rarely use them as I usually can't be assed to wear contacts too, and I'm a bit too blind to just wear sunnies. The thing is I've never seen any glasses that I'd like to have as prescription. I only really wear sunglasses like this or this and I doubt you can get these in perscription format...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

I've worn glasses since I was about 7, so I'm used to them.

I occasionally think about getting prescription sunglasses, but if I did, I wouldn't just put tinted lenses in the old frame, just looks weird to me. I would pick a frame with the idea in mind that they were for sunglasses, eg. big tortoiseshell frame, something a bit more over the top than for everyday wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Same story with myself, been wearing glasses for 11 years now, only had to start wearing them full-time 6 years ago. Was thinking bout just getting contacts and then weaing whatever sunglasses I want but was thinking that getting prescription ones would be better, seen a cute pair of Gucci ones in Vision Express, anyone gone with Vision Express before? I've only been with Specsavers

Advertisement