Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Steal a Bike in NYC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the dope, he has his right sock rolled up!!!! could he look any more like a cyclist , he shoulda been black and dressed like a rapper.
    tbh the world trade center nobody gives a **** sure i got a fake rolex off the dodgiest ****er ever. union square is around a **** hole. tbh in any place i wouldnt approach sombody stealing a bike especially if they had a bag of heavy blunt tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

kona wrote:
    the dope, he has his right sock rolled up!!!! could he look any more like a cyclist , he shoulda been black and dressed like a rapper.
    tbh the world trade center nobody gives a **** sure i got a fake rolex off the dodgiest ****er ever. union square is around a **** hole. tbh in any place i wouldnt approach sombody stealing a bike especially if they had a bag of heavy blunt tools

Actually it's given me an idea - the 'hide in plain sight' approach works well, you could put on blue overalls, goggles and ear muffs and steal bikes all day - people would assume you were from the council!

And like you say, you're not going to approach some dodgy dude with a weapon. - all in all it's easier to not give a f**k which is why I don't park in town anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

A few years ago, I had to liberate a bike when i lost the keys. It was locked to Stephens Greens railings. It took me 25mins with a hacksaw. It was midday on a Saturday. The thousands of people that passed me never said a thing, and that included two cops...:eek:

Just as well because i could not have proven that the bike was mine (no reciepts etc)...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

A few years ago, I had to liberate a bike when i lost the keys. It was locked to Stephens Greens railings. It took me 25mins with a hacksaw. It was midday on a Saturday. The thousands of people that passed me never said a thing, and that included two cops...

Just as well because i could not have proven that the bike was mine (no reciepts etc)...

Snap. But it was someone elses bike, the fool owner locked their bike to the railings through the frame of my bike, what an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

I remember having a trek 4300 stolen top of grafton st outside Oasis...guy took a cutters out of a backpack on sat afternoon broad daylight, snapped lock and wheeled bike away.This was all told to me by the security guard in oasis...I was thinking if I was a bird, i'd have cleaned oasis out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I’ve only ever had an attempt at my middle of the range mountain bike, so I can’t wait till my move to Dublin.

Anyway, it was a U-lock/D-lock/whatever, and the vandal did far more damage to by bicycle then to the lock, but the lock was left in a way the key couldn’t fit in, so the angle grinder method was used (someone has told me the correct way of opening a U-lock, but I can’t remember). The vandal left a large dent in the vertical bar under the saddle (name?).

I have always understood that if a pro wants to get a bike they will steal it pretty much no matter what. So just for them, when I move to Dublin, I tempted to get a sign hanging on the bike saying ‘look, big dent, go steal something worth something’. But wouldn’t that just egg on the vandals/amateurs.

Advertisement