Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade chips disaster...

• 18-07-2006 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Any time I try to make home-made chips and deep fry them - it's a disaster...
    I chop the spuds, rinse them, leave them sit for tens mins, rinse them, dry them and fry them - they end up black on the outside, raw on the inside with a nasty bitter taste... is it just not meant to be?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The temperature must be too high or you are trying to cook too many at once? :) Have you tried cooking them in the oven, just put a layer on a baking tray? Google on the web and you should find out correct temperatures and time to cook homemade chips in the oven, healthier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

what i do is deep fry the chips at 150 degrees for about 5-7 mins,lift them up then turn up the temp to 190 degrees and deep fry till golden brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Strokesfan wrote:
    Any time I try to make home-made chips and deep fry them - it's a disaster...
    I chop the spuds, rinse them, leave them sit for tens mins, rinse them, dry them and fry them - they end up black on the outside, raw on the inside with a nasty bitter taste... is it just not meant to be?:D

Your oil is too hot. County's reply is a good way to cook them. Although I personally find that the longer they can be left between the first and second fry the better. It's funny, people talk about chipers not being good because they serve re-heats when that is actually the right way to cook them!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 scotusone

either the oil is too hot ,more than 185c, or the oil is not fresh .

the older the oil the more quickly the chip will darken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...are you deep frying them, or are you just shallow frying them on a pan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get pot + wire basket.
    Heat a good bit of oil in pot.
    Take bag of new potatoes, scrub (not skin) the spuds, rinse under water.
    Slice em into chips of arbitrary size.
    Cook till golden.
    Drain, shake, dry on kitchen towel.

Serve with salt/soy sauce/ketchup/mayoaise/milkshake/cheese/salad/baby

It aint that hard.

Your temp is probably wrong.
    Different oils have different optimal cooking temps (afaik - I aint no chef).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

thanks guys - I'l turn the temp down... my poxy boyf always manages to make em perfect, I reckon he tampers with the deep fat fryer before I cook them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Its not really the time of the year for making homemade chips the new potatoes are to waxy for chips wait till late august when the spuds get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

use rooster potatoes, not new potatoes.

Chop them up, dry them put them in the fryer for 5 mins at 130, take them out, put the heat up to 180, when its ready, stick them back in until crispy, looking about 3 mins. Thats it perfecto

Simple!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you soak the chips in water for 20 mins or so the starch washes out and your oil lasts longer and doesn't go brown.
    Rinse well and dry with a dry towel.
    pre-cook at 170c let cool properly takes 20-30 minutes then fry at 180c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Parboil them first, that will prevent them from being hard in the middle. I don't fry mine, i put the parboiled cut chips on a baking tray and sprinkle them with oil and put them in the oven at about 180 C. Healthier than frying and just as nice IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Parboil them first, that will prevent them from being hard in the middle. I don't fry mine, i put the parboiled cut chips on a baking tray and sprinkle them with oil and put them in the oven at about 180 C. Healthier than frying and just as nice IMO

If you think that cooking them like that is similar to good chi[ps then you've never actually had good chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

that just sounds wrong

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

if you're goona insult your spuds by chippin em and bakin em, you should put chilli or various herbs into the oil

best chips are chippper chips, or my friend's mum's chips, she uses frytex rather than oil so they have that yummy unhealthy saturated fats taste :D

failing that, roosters make the best chips, though using vaguely new spuds gives an interesting flavour too, just gotta watch out for the middles being hard if you dont do em right so slice em thin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Your oil is far too hot! If you are using an electric chipper the thermostat may be damaged. You are risking a fire and hot oil is highly dangerous. Just think how long it takes to cool.

If the oil goes on fire DO NOT POUR WATER ON IT as this will cause an explosion. A damp tea towel placed over the flame will put it out.

If you use hot oil often you should invest in a fire blanket.

Advertisement