Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3G sim cards ?

• 18-07-2006 5:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

I read on the vodafone site that you need a 3G sim card to avail of the features of a 3G phone, but as you can guess, no information of how to get a 3G sim card on there site, could someone fill me in please ? what does it cost, can you keep your number etc ?

Thanks,

oleras

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think you might have to go into your nearest vodafone store to get it upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I thought they did away with the need for special 3G sims? Anyhow.. pop into your nearest store, they should be able to copy your contacts over and you WILL keep you old phone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

That information is redundant

When the 3g services were launched last year, yes you had to have a 3g sim card.

This necessity was quickly done away with, as the amount of sim changes needed far exceeded expectations.
    To use 3g services any sim card will do, its just down to the device and being in the right kind of coverage

ps: you can tell what kind of sim you have by checking the sim no on the back... not with the long number, but by the letters after it. If there is a "G" it means gsm - if there is a "U" it means UMTS (3g)

but thats a moot point as all sims are now the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

oleras wrote:
    I read on the vodafone site that you need a 3G sim card to avail of the features of a 3G phone, but as you can guess, no information of how to get a 3G sim card on there site, could someone fill me in please ? what does it cost, can you keep your number etc ?

Thanks,

oleras

i have a 3g phone and my sim card is an Eircell one.. purple and blue coloured so take from that your answer.. all my 3g whatchamacallits work fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If you have a proper 3g phone, you may still need to update your sim card. It depends how many kbs are on it. with an eircell you'll definitely need to update, mine was later than that and still had to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

no the Eircell sims are actualy fine (which are 8kb)

and the amount of KB on a sim card has no bearing on the working of a sim card.
    Older eircell sim cards have been approved to work with 3g

But all sims degrade eventualy, so a new sim could be needed after a day or after 10 yers, its all random

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We have a few company phones with various strange old sims. I recently upgraded our blackberries to 3G Blackberries and no sim change was required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Thanks for all the replies folks, simple questioned answered very efficiently, pity vodafone cant do the same with their website....:D

oleras

Advertisement