Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSS Websites

Options
  • 18-07-2006 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I am considering developing a new website using CSS, would people recommend it? does CSS work correctly in firefox? and does anyone know of any goood example sites that used CSS to develop its layout design etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Yes is highly recommended, and with small litle IE hacks you can make it look perfect in Firefox as well.

Firefox and IE has a different way of looking at padding and margin tags.
    If you use a browser detection script you can load the right css file based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭dshakey

do you know where id get that script? is created in java?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

do a search in google based on the language you are going to use, php , asp, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Also dont forget to test in Opera aswell as Safari, Firefox and Opera on the Mac aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You could try a service such as http://www.sitevista.com/ which does checks in most common browsers and OS

• Advertisement

dshakey wrote:
    I am considering developing a new website using CSS, would people recommend it? does CSS work correctly in firefox? and does anyone know of any goood example sites that used CSS to develop its layout design etc

Best examples in my mind are

www.csszengarden.com

However that is just a single template, styled by different people who know how to draw

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭dshakey

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Also dont forget to test in Opera aswell as Safari, Firefox and Opera on the Mac aswell :)

i know thier is a bbig differece between IE and FF but is thier a bug diffence in Opera and Safari..

is thier any comparison tables

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

This is an Irish site that implemented a CSS layout pretty effectively I think:

http://www.iqcontent.com/

Browser compatibility still a bugbear with CSS layout, but hey, hopefully that will improve...

This may be of help in clarifying the basics:

http://www.subcide.com/tutorials/csslayout/

dshakey wrote:
    i know thier is a bbig differece between IE and FF but is thier a bug diffence in Opera and Safari..

is thier any comparison tables

Not that I know off - more often then not its a case of build it for IE*, test it for Firefox, and then everything else

*Because no matter what anyone says IE is still the market leader in the browser department

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

This is a nice piece of code to use for css.

<link href="default.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    <!--[if IE]>
      <link href="default_ie.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
    <![endif]-->

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement