Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quran

• 18-07-2006 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Just a quick post to find out if anyone knows where i can buy a copy of the english quran in dublin? Would any of the big book shops have it?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Qadri

Hi ,

You can collect a free translation of the Holy Quran from either

Clonskeigh Islamic Cultural centre

Dublin Mosque ( South Circular Road)

Clonee Mosque & Islamic Centre (Hazelbury Park, Clonee, Dublin 15)

PM me for contact numbers.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Is there a reason the contact numbers have to stay private?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Qadri

hahaha No not at all. I tought its not allowed to post phone numbers or email addresses .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Qadri wrote:
    hahaha No not at all. I tought its not allowed to post phone numbers or email addresses .

Well generally its not a good idea to post your own personal details. However if its somewhere where the general public can contact and they get free stuff I don't see an issue with this being put into the links/resources thread.

About the only danger I can see is you may get some muppets calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Qadri wrote:
    Hi ,

You can collect a free translation of the Holy Quran from either

Clonskeigh Islamic Cultural centre

Dublin Mosque ( South Circular Road)

Clonee Mosque & Islamic Centre (Hazelbury Park, Clonee, Dublin 15)

PM me for contact numbers.

Regards

What translation is it? I'm trying to get a Pickthall, but am having trouble in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

Twigy wrote:
    Just a quick post to find out if anyone knows where i can buy a copy of the english quran in dublin? Would any of the big book shops have it?
    Thanks.

Waterstones should have it.

You can download it here (Adobe Reader required)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Hodge and Figgis (sp?) on Dawson St sell english copies as far as I know.
    But as Qadri pointed out, theyre free in those other places!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Picktall is meant to be pretty good.

I'd recommend against getting one from the King Fahd Complex from Saudi Arabia. The English one being regulated by them these days is by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali and Dr. Muhammad Mushin Khan.

You can always read it online of course or print the pdf version provided by Squaddy.

http://www.islamicity.com/QuranSearch/
    Quality site there. Three translations available. Asad, Picktall and Ali. I used it most of the time when quoting Quran on this forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the_new_mr wrote:
    I'd recommend against getting one from the King Fahd Complex from Saudi Arabia. The English one being regulated by them these days is by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali and Dr. Muhammad Mushin Khan.
    Why is that? Is it a bad translation?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Well, I wouldn't like to say a bad translation but it's a long way from the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

the_new_mr wrote:
    Picktall is meant to be pretty good.

IMHO its far and away the best english translation I've come across. I've read the Yusuf Ali, the Dawood and the Rodwell, but reckon they don't come close. Had a Pickthall, blue cover..called "The meaning of the Glorious Qur'an" printed by the Islamic Dawa Centre, but contrived to lose it, cant find another copy anywhere in Ireland..tried all the major stores

Advertisement