Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Kayaking/White-water Kayaking

Options
  • 18-07-2006 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all, does anybody know a club, or outdoor adventure centre, that I can go river kayaking with? I'm not looking for a slow paddle down a calm river, I go sea kayaking for that. What I'm looking for is more like white water kayaking :cool: I'm not sure is it possible to do that here in Ireland as I can't find anything on the net about it and I've never seen or heard of it being done here.

Any info at all would be great.
    Thanks.
    ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tadhg123

There isnt much whitewater in Ireland during the summer. Theres plenty of OECs that'll bring you out on easier stuff though www.oec.ie
    A lot of the river paddling here is done through the college clubs. There's a club in cork called Phoenix. They're based at the Lee Fields.
    A few links for ya
    www.irishfreestyle.com
    www.canoe.ie
    www.h2oextreme.net

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.irishcanoeunion.com/ should be able to provide you with info.

www.wwkc.net is a Dublin based club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AK47

hi all, me and a few mates have sit on top kayaks and are looking for some decent river paddling routes, most info relates to whitewater stuff but looking for more open flat water for exploration - anyone know some decent rever paddling routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

AK47 wrote: »
    hi all, me and a few mates have sit on top kayaks and are looking for some decent river paddling routes, most info relates to whitewater stuff but looking for more open flat water for exploration - anyone know some decent rever paddling routes?

Sorry to revive an old thread but it saves me asking the same question.

Anyone know any routes like this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

MOVED FROM SAILING & BOATING

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

just looking at the river guides. Is Weils Disease really a problem on the Boyne and Liffey... seriously is this not scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Yes, it is a problem, a rare one but it occurs nonetheless. Simple precautions such as bringing handwash gel and washing hands before lunch, covering open cuts and not spending time scrambling on banks can pretty much eliminate the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

cheers Ken, I never realised that this was an issue on rivers moving at an ok pace... must bring the antiseptic gel!!

• Advertisement

Possedion wrote: »
    cheers Ken, I never realised that this was an issue on rivers moving at an ok pace... must bring the antiseptic gel!!

It's an issue anytime you've got animals that can carry the bacteria and rats aren't the only carriers, the problem for kayakers is that it can live a long time in moist or wet conditions. The main flow of the river isn't really the issue as the amount of water there dilutes - the problem is soggy banks which is where we get on and get off or if you've taken a swim etc. I'm not sure why they say the Boyne and the Liffey are worse than other places as every river will have rats close by. I think for the Liffey, sluice in Lucan is a bad spot because people play there so there is a lot of climbing back over the weir etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Supposed to quite bad around the sluice area i've heard before.

If you take all the precautions you reduce the chances of contracting the disease, cover open wounds, be mindful of where you place your hands and nothing like a bottle of alcohol based hand cleanser on stand by :)

Advertisement