Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pup

Options
  • 18-07-2006 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey All!

Here's my story....

we just got a new pup its staffordshire terrier cross (with what we dont know) the vet wasnt sure either but said it something that makes her have a very quiet temprement. Anyway she came from the pound and all seems to be going well she was found on the beach. We took her to the vets the first day we got her for her injections with the second set next monday (two weeks later).
    Heres a pic:Image012.jpg + Image007.jpg\

anyway when we first got her she was very excitable and playful and really "cuddly"- she loves to be petted and rubbed although she is very shy and timid. She is about three months a=old and i think she was started on her house training and we havent had any problems apart from the first night when she was in the kitchen (been in her kennel since).
    For the past 4 or 5 days she has been very lazy and all she wants to sleep and lie around the whole time and very infrequently wants to play. At first i thought she was drowsy from the injections and that but now i think she is getting lazy cos we have't been walking her (vets advice to avoid ALL contact with other dogs till she get second injections) she might be getting a wee bit pudgy maybe we're feeding her too much - feeding a mixture of science plan (that the vet give us)+ and the bags of pedigree chum puppy dry feed.

Just wanted to know if this is normal behaviour for her to be so tired cos she hasnt been exercised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Could be down to the heat. My dogs are just sleeping all day, not in the mood for playing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

probably a combination of everything

first and foremost ...heat ...
    then a bit groggy from injections
    then lack of excercise (just pick it up again when she can get out again but avoid the real heat)
    and probably a bit too much food as well, esp as she isn't really doing much at the moment. (reduce the ration a bit for the time being)

And in general ...stay away from pedigree dog food. Full of colourants, preservatives, softners, hardneners and whatnots ...plus it makes dogs (and their poo) extremely stinky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

peasant wrote:
    probably a combination of everything

first and foremost ...heat ...
    then a bit groggy from injections
    then lack of excercise (just pick it up again when she can get out again but avoid the real heat)
    and probably a bit too much food as well, esp as she isn't really doing much at the moment. (reduce the ration a bit for the time being)

And in general ...stay away from pedigree dog food. Full of colourants, preservatives, softners, hardneners and whatnots ...plus it makes dogs (and their poo) extremely stinky.
    thanks for the reply what food would you reccomend?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Something with a protein content of around 20% (no more than 25%), as little additives as possible and one where meat is no further down on the list of ingredients than second place.

After that it depends on what you can get regularly and what your dog likes.

Also keep in mind not to buy in too big quantities, once opened even dry food goes off pretty quickly.
    So getting super-duper high quality specialty food by mail order in 15 kg bags may be counter productive if you only have one dog.
    Stored in an airtight container, once opened, dry food should not be left for longer than two weeks really.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

peasant wrote:
    Something with a protein content of around 20% (no more than 25%), as little additives as possible and one where meat is no further down on the list of ingredients than second place.

As far as I know, James Wellbeloved meets all this criteria. Also, it's sold in small & large bags and is formulated for either puppy, adult or senior dogs - so make sure you're picking up correct one:) It might be a small bit more expensive than the likes of pedigree chum.....but so well worth it! You can get it at Pet Stop in Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies...
    will have a look for some better food maybe that will help with her farting also?? (man they stink :eek: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

neacy69 wrote:
    that will help with her farting also?? (man they stink :eek: )

That'll almost definitely be the pedigree food. However, if your dog had worms and you wormed it, that can cause this also. If you haven't wormed it, do so!

yeah i gave her the worming tablet that the vet gave us "drontal plus??" she has been getting better with the farting lately hopefully the improvement keeps going :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

"Pedigree chum" brand of dogfood has to be one of the worst brands on the market. If I were you I'd steer clear of it. But their "Jumbones" etc are loved by most dogs as a treat and are ok now and then ;)

She dosent look overweight in the photo, so I wouldnt be too worried for now, but do ask your vet if her lethargy gets worse. But do bear in mind the tempratures right now, most things with fur will be far more lazy in this weather, I know I am, and I dont have (much) fur :)

Avoiding contact with other dogs is good for now, but dont forget to let her out a few times every day, even just to burn off energy in the garden, the fresh air will spark her energy :)

Might also be a good time to talk to your vet about spaying options and booking, it comes sooner than you think.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Mine are on Burns organic and the farting stopped !
    It also reduced greatly the amount of " waste " they produce !

I would imagine the little one is swamped with the heat.

Keep an eye out of anything else out of the ordinary tho - like vomiting / diahorrea ( spelling ! )

• Advertisement
Advertisement