Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenart Castle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Heres a few pictures i found using google image search:
    Glenart%20Castle_jpg.jpg
    Glenart%20Tower_jpg.jpg

This one was obviously taken in its better days:
    glenart.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pipp

Any movement on this investigation?
    Im very intruiged and ready to take part.
    Keep me posted:D

I'll be looking into it very soon, with another trip planned for Ross early November I might try fit it in in October. I really have to make contact with the owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 IncognitoOne

There was many raves held in this castle, off the top of my head at least six in the last two years. Now more to the point, I was also in this closed off wing of the castle and I got a very bad feeling as soon as I entered it, so much so that I wanted to leave it straight away. Now I find the castle itself looks erie from the outside but once inside the reception I felt alright. There was two other parts of the building that I felt uneasy in but nothing compared to the closed off wing of the castle. P.S. I have a picture of the ball room I will post it up soon..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 IncognitoOne

The ballroom.......
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/vism2w

I'd say this was taken from about half way down the ballroom.....

• Advertisement

Excellent Incognito, look forward to seeing it.

I'm thinking of Saturday the 30th Sept for this one if i can sort it out and will start a thread on it as soon as i get some details.

*Edit: that was quick ;)

Do you know if these raves are legal and are the held by the castle owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Seriously 6th, forget about it, you wont get in to a rave, I've seen you.

The lighting was bad ... trust me i can pass for a 17 year old scanger!

Anyway I'm trying to contact these guys but the hotel is closed. I have a mobile number now and know that they will still let the whole castle out for some occassions.

Ok latest news on this is that I have been in on the phone with the Castle and have just sent off an email asking if I can take a group of 10 people for an over night on Saturday the 30th September. It doesnt sound like they have had anything like this before but are open enough to it and are just checking dates etc.

Fingers crossed I will be starting a thread soon organising the trip :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Al19000

Hello!

It's 2009 now, and you peepz from 2006 have most definately investigated the place by now.
    I have found a milk bottle from 2006 (It's an old tesco one) dated November 18th in the underground passage near the clocktower, and I'm wondering if any of you ancient people may have left it down there. I am very distressed, as it has not been recycled yet. HORROR!

(HA! nobody'll actually reply to this.. :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i dont want to encourage people pushing up old threads, but jeeze - Im amazed ye's went investigating somewhere with no history of paranormal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

iamhunted wrote: »
    i dont want to encourage people pushing up old threads, but jeeze - Im amazed ye's went investigating somewhere with no history of paranormal activity.

Possibly builders? Ghost milk ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I don't think anyone investigated it. Might have been some sort of psychic event there or something, but I've never been there.

While we investigate a location almost every week we have never done there. Possibly because there are no ghosts associated with it

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

6th wrote: »
    Great info there Pipp, am really hoping to do an Investigation there in the near future so would love to get the Historians name. Also would you be interested in coming along on one yourself?

Would love to get mini-interviews from people with stories about the place too.

Guys, have ye ever looked into Strokestown House Co.Roscommon, my hometown, will get pics for ye soon

Have ye done any investigations this side of the Shannon?

Feelio.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

ahh glenart castle they used to do rave's there and they were great craic untill the scum element found out and trashed the place 1 nite. really nice castle all the same would love to have a party there again great setting.

Plenty of reports from the place actually from both staff and guests. I've spoken to locals about it who had there own stories going back 60 years as well as people who ran events there (not the raves) who had personal experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Al19000

Ooh, replies..

Probably builders, yeah, but it's always fun to link vaguely related things together :D

And The castle has had MANY reports of paranormal activity, but so does every castle ever..

• Advertisement

It was never investigated and there is reported paranormal activity there such as apparitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

Spogpean wrote: »
    i was at a 21st in this place around september / october time, and the place was a bit weird alrite. the place is huge, and yet there was only about 4 (chinese) staff on that nite. the 21st was on in the ballroom i think but we could walk around a good bit of the castle. the outside seemed nice, and plenty of people were walking around the gardens (people from arklow) and didn't seem the least bit frightened - maybe cuz they were drunk but nobody ever told me anything of any ghost stories.

i stayed the night aswell, the room was ok, fairly old. there was about 10 of us in the room that nite, so it was freaky enough without seeing any paranormal activity (which we didnt see). here's a weird thing though, the next morning we were waiting for brekkie in the restaurant part but the chinese dude kept ignoring us. so 3 of us walked into the kitchen (in front of the fella who was employed there) and started to make our own brekkie. ur man never said one word to us and just let us be. so we walked out of the kitchen (which wasnt very clean tbh) and ate our food. ur man never asked us for money or anything and never reported us - weird.

there's graffiti and marker all over the walls and some of the walls are shabby lookin. a few people were tellin me that the place is used for raves or something like that. anyways thats me done, good luck with the investigation!

Yeah i was at a rave there, was awesome! There was a few hundred people there. It was a great night but i heard someone was taken off in an ambulance because they jumped out of a tree. The next day there were chinese people working there they were worried about me because i was going around without shoes on and there was glass everywhere so i thought they were good people. Did not find them weird. I reckon it was a little rude of you to go into the kitchen to help yourself, jeez the dude was probably trying to keep his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mnhj

Really? Where did u see this? I would like to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nigelt

Hi

You may remember sending this message (below) some years ago.

I live over in Australia but my family lived near Arklow at the beginning of the 1900s. I believe that they were employed at Glenart Castle. You mentioned that you knew a local historian and wonder if you could pass a query on to him. Thanks, Nigel

My family lived at Ballyduff Lodge, Ballyduff North, Rural Arklow until 1922 when they warned to escape. My great grandfather was a watchman (ex-royal navy and then coastguard in Ireland). the 1911 census shows that the house they lived in was owned by Lady Carysfort. The family story is that they escaped with one suitcase and saw flames behind them in the night. Unfortunately they were unable to collect a baby which was staying with the family of the wife (of my Grandfathers brother) who had died in childbirth.

I am trying to find out if Ballyduff Lodge was a gate lodge for Glenart Castle and if either the lodge or the castle was burned down in 1922. If so, are there any photographs available of the Lodge?

Unfortunately the family lost touch with the young baby as every time the family requested permission to travel to Ireland they were refused.

Thanks for your help, Nigel
    Pipp wrote: »
    Im from Arklow and Ive always had a fascination with the castle. It was derelict up until around ten years ago (I think) when it was bought and refurbished into a hotel and Chinese restaurant. I was actully up at the castle at the weekend walking the dogs and I was surprised to see it closed.
    Ive been in it a few times when it was open, its gorgeous inside, and has a real warm feeling to it. Although I have to admit that i did get the collywobbles a bit as there have been stories of suicides in the castle knocking around Arklow for years. It feels "old" in there, like there is some definate history to it, if that makes any sense?. A friend worked there for a while and told stories of lights and delph hovering in mid-air in the kitchens.

I remember going up to the castle as a child, it was all overgrown and ruined but you could see the remnants of what it looked like in the past with beautiful gardens and a huge ballroom. We got into it a few times, and all I can remember is that there were bees everywhere and that there were huge velvet curtains hanging in tatters from the windows. It was beautiful though, even in that state.

The present owners have really done a fabulous job with it and its absolutely stunning, especially as you approach from the forest walks as you see the big arched windows of the ballroom and the gardens, which Im told they are going to try to get it back to what it was when the Earl was in residence.

For anyone thats interested in the history there is a local historian that can fill you in with details, although I do know that it was a seminary before it was abandoned to dereliction. Im not sure of the order or details but I know that those extra buildings were used as accomodations for the young priests.
    (Im not sure what use they would have had for that massive ballroom thoughredface.gif ) If anyone wants the historians name PM me.

One thing thats come to mind also is that my father (whos retired now) was working on the site when they were re-building and he said that the walls were almost a metre thick and that the original structure dated back hundreds of years. I distinctly remembering him saying that the work men started saying that they were seeing things in the castle and towards the end of the re-build they even refused to work in the castle late in the evening.

Anyway, if you are going to do an investigation can you post it here?
    Glenart wood also has some local ghost stories attached to it. Unfortunately a very depressed person hung themselves in the wood about eleven years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 garyfran

Hi. I was just talking to my girlfriend about an event that happened in this hotel some years ago and then decided to do a google search and came across this post. As to a comment above by LaLucy about the rave that happened in Glenart Castle some years ago and remember well the man who fell from the tree and think broke his legs. I was one of a few of the people involved in the running and setting up of that gig and in the day before the event took place we were up in the castle setting everything up. Five of us stayed in the castle that night. As mentioned the place was owned by a Chinese family. They left us there, just five of us in the castle and no other guests or staff. A lot of strange things happened that night in the room we stayed in. I remember the room well to this day. From the outside looking in, it was the room that is situated above the main entrance and to the left. The room was a two story room with 1 double bed on the bottom with a spiral stairs leading up to 4/5 more beds. Just wondering if there was any findings on this castle or if there is still any interest??? It is just something that has bothered me ever since and would like to know or find out other accounts as I feel I have some unfinished business with this castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Can you describe some of the strange things that happened to your group the night you stayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

garyfran wrote: »
    Hi. I was just talking to my girlfriend about an event that happened in this hotel some years ago and then decided to do a google search and came across this post. As to a comment above by LaLucy about the rave that happened in Glenart Castle some years ago and remember well the man who fell from the tree and think broke his legs. I was one of a few of the people involved in the running and setting up of that gig and in the day before the event took place we were up in the castle setting everything up. Five of us stayed in the castle that night. As mentioned the place was owned by a Chinese family. They left us there, just five of us in the castle and no other guests or staff. A lot of strange things happened that night in the room we stayed in. I remember the room well to this day. From the outside looking in, it was the room that is situated above the main entrance and to the left. The room was a two story room with 1 double bed on the bottom with a spiral stairs leading up to 4/5 more beds. Just wondering if there was any findings on this castle or if there is still any interest??? It is just something that has bothered me ever since and would like to know or find out other accounts as I feel I have some unfinished business with this castle.

I stayed in the upstairs part of that room. Have to say I didn't like the room, just a bad feeling. Didn't experience anything though.

Advertisement