Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Track And Field

• 18-07-2006 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

Okay folks, its that time of year again. National T & F is on this weekend in Santry. Looking forward to this years one, looks like it good be very hot, As a lot of runners are still looking for European times. According to a few guys the 800 is gonna be hot, hot. The graded last Wednesday night was a wee pre-runner to this with 3 "A" grade races taking place. Including Martin Fagan, pacing Mark Christie. Fagan already has the 10k and 5K times so what will he be running at the weekend.
    The 10K will be very interesting with Mark Carrol, Vinny Mulvey and Gary Murray(rummor) in this one. Mark Carrol is planing this as his last European's but he hasnt got the Qualifying time, same as Vinny Mulvey who won the AAA's 10K just 20 seconds off the euro time.
    Im looking forward to the 3K S\C, This will be a battle between Mark Kirwan and Eugene O'Neill. Eugene is back from injury and ran 8.58(not sure, may be 59) in the British trails on Sunday. Kirwan has came on leaps and bounds this year and posted 8.56 in a BMC meet 3 weeks ago.

Anyone else looking forward to the weekend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Although I'll be looking forward to the sprints myself, the middle distance has always been great entertainment - I'll always remember Nolan saluting the hill at the bell when tracking Turnbull, only to be beaten in the end, classic stuff, or Carroll's 1500 win when he did the 5k-1500m double couple of years back, pulled a sprint finish out of his shoe laces.

The womens 400 will be a great race (shinkins/cuddihy) not sure how many Shinkins has won on a row and maybe the 200 if Cuddihy decides to run after her Euro qualifying run at the weekend. The mens 400 will be good if the lads decide to race each other for once (Daly is injured, dunno about Coman but hopefully the rest will run).

Back to Cuddihy, I think she could make it big, her 200m run at the weekend a real signal that she can run very fast at 400 soon, sub 51 maybe. An injury free winter and she'll definetely be a real contender next season, she's built like a Russian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TimG

yep, its goin be great, will prob be there supporting any runners from UCD, am mainly going for the pissup afterwards though!

Ahhh the party after the Nationals - back in the day there was always drama - fights, arrestings, tears, scoring - most athletes can't drink you see, couple of drinks and all hell would break loose, there was either a lot of love or a lot of hate - nowhere in between. My favourite was the scuffle on Kildare St and its surroundings a few years back, mainly handbags but it got the blood racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Didnt want to ruin the first post by saying the party afterward!!!
    Qbar again this year???? for starters any way!!! Not racing myself, so it'll be to the clonliffe bar after Saturday's events!!!!!!!!!
    Perfect weekend really.....training sat morning, Saturday afternoon nationals, Saturday evening, drinking!
    Sunday morning Long Run, Sunday Afternoon Nationals, Sunday Evening\night\monday morning...PARTY!!!

AH only ONCE A YEAR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Anybody know the finalised list of entrants for each event?

I've read bits and pieces here and there with hints of who's competing in some events but if possible I'd like to know the full starting line ups...or do I have to wait and buy a program on the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You can only know the finalised list after declarations are made, which happens a short period before each event.

Looking forward to it, hope the weather behaves and as many athletes as possible turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TimG

anyone know what the timetable is/what events are on 2moro?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

timetable is available on http://www.athleticsireland.ie

Great double from Cuddihy. If she repeats that run she will make the final in the Europeans. There are loads of Russians with faster times but only 3 will be there, as well as 3 Bulgarians and one of the Brits. So thats her in the top 8 I reckon and when you are in a final, anything can happen.

Gillick had a great win too over McKee and the middle distances races were all crackers. Kelly Proper showed her class in the long jump too, great jumping at 6.32 even it it was windy.

5000 was a brillant race. I was surprised that Nolan stuck with Fagan and Murray for so long. I think his tatics where to stick with them until 800 left and then try to race them. However he didnt have the legs for. Amazing finish though, like the finish of a sprint. 1500 was excellent as well. Did Alister miss judge the Leam Reale?? I thought with 200 left that Colin Costello would take the bronze.

Anyhows, really enjoyed the Championships. It wasnt looking good until the men's 800 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Although the finish of the 5000 was great, it became a 2 horse race over the last couple of laps. In fairness to Nolan, he ran a very competitive 1500 race in Belgium the day before. 31 started so a very serious lack of quality in depth. Also, were the organisers right to start such a large field. The best performances of the weekend came from Cuddihy in the 200m & 400m and David Gillick in the 400. Both look as if they could seriously do damage to the respective national records over the next couple of weeks. Although not performed at the National, the performance of the weekend undoubtedly belongs to Roisin McGettigan who knocked a huge chunk off her 3000 Steeplechase national record and for good measure ran a decent 800 the following day in Santry the following in beating Orla Drumm for the national title.

So, moving on to Gothenburg, I believe that Gillick, Cuddihy, McGettigan, Cragg and Deirdre Ryan represent our best hopes of medals, maybe also Mary Cullen.

Overall, Sunday was a very entertaining day.

A good championships in all. Cuddihy and Gillick were the highlights for me. A bigger crowd than usual, too.

Hopefully, Derval can sharpen up and make a serious challenge in Gothenburg.

I think we have several medal shots, so hopefully we can bring home a few.

Although the finish of the 5000 was great, it became a 2 horse race over the last couple of laps. In fairness to Nolan, he ran a very competitive 1500 race in Belgium the day before. 31 started so a very serious lack of quality in depth. Also, were the organisers right to start such a large field.

My da, said "back in his day" It was impossible to do the 5k\10K double as the 5k heats were on Saturday. I think there should have been 5K heats this year.

Also was glad to see Alister Cragg ran in the 1500 heats. He did probably want two fast 1500's, but in comparison to Mr.Nolan who usually gets a bye! Byes shouldnt be allowed in the senior championship!

Heard a good point with regard next year. Its been reconmended to the AAI to have the Championship at 5pm on Saturday, which is the ideal time for a saturday meet.

The long course is in Sligo this year, Racecourse were Inter-counties were on. I believe the inter counties are in Dungravan? Anyone else hear this?

Slow coach wrote:
    A
    Hopefully, Derval can sharpen up and make a serious challenge in Gothenburg.

QUOTE]

I just checked the DN Galan results where Derval was to compete. There were 2 races with 8 in each, but no Derval. She was listed earlier in the start lists and announced in Santry on Sunday she'd be taking part. She's down to do Helsinki tomorrow night. Presumably she felt 2 races on consecutive nights would be too much. Anyone hear anything?

I just checked the DN Galan results where Derval was to compete. There were 2 races with 8 in each, but no Derval. She was listed earlier in the start lists and announced in Santry on Sunday she'd be taking part. She's down to do Helsinki tomorrow night. Presumably she felt 2 races on consecutive nights would be too much. Anyone hear anything?

Check again. She ran 12.94 in the B race.

She looked good. It was live on Eurosport. I'd say she needs more races. A medal will be tough, but possible.

Slow coach wrote:
    Check again. She ran 12.94 in the B race.

She looked good. It was live on Eurosport. I'd say she needs more races. A medal will be tough, but possible.

I know you won't believe this, I haven't had a drink all day but I swear I checked earlier and her name wasn't there. They've credited her with 12.94 PB - as far as I know, this is wrong too - I believe her PB to be 12.92. I haven't checked this but I think I'm right.

She is still ranked 10th going in and hasn't really hit form, but I'd be surprised if she medalled without a sub 12.7, but if anyone can turn it around DOR can.

I believe her PB to be 12.92. I haven't checked this but I think I'm right.

You're right about her PB. That's just to do with the Stockholm website being behind the times. IMHO.

Off to watch Helsinki now! Rocky is on again! (O'Rourke)

Another PB for Derval. 12.85 (+0.6). Unfortunately I think she may run out of time before Gothenburg where she will probably need 12.7 to medal. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

She's showed she's a good championship runner though so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭SitUbuSit

Yeah, I saw the 12.85 today on Eurosport and it wasn't a bad run.

I'm just worried that I won't see her getting down to the 12.4/12.5 that is really needed to be world class but I see 12.6/12.7 medalling at the Europeans.

She really only has Bolm, Kallur to worry about. I think Lamalle was a one trick pony at the French NCs and Alozie isn't the best championship performer.

So I do really think she has a chance of a bronze but I just really want her to be able to look to the Worlds with confidence and she need a 12.6 or below to do that.

I just don't see the 12.4/12.5 coming this year as she just doesn't seem to ahve the basic speed. She seems to get overtaken in the 40-60m area and I'm not sure if the lack of speed is down to her injury or just a more worrying basic lack of speed.

I think she's a great athlete, a fine competitor and a great ambassador for Ireland. I just hope it all comes together for her.

I think she's going to be my new Sonia...someone to always worry about!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

What sort of sprint speed is required? I remember noting a few years ago watching her train that she looked fast enough to challenge for national sprint titles.

I'm just worried that I won't see her getting down to the 12.4/12.5 that is really needed to be world class but I see 12.6/12.7 medalling at the Europeans.

She really only has Bolm, Kallur to worry about. I think Lamalle was a one trick pony at the French NCs and Alozie isn't the best championship performer.

I think you could be right seamus, I thought a 12.6 for a medal, but a 12.7 could do it. Last nights run would give me hope she can medal, does anyone know if she is racing again soon, there isn't any short hurdles in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

In training she can do 100's in around the time the nationals were won in, so she has decent basic speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Just reviewing some posts from before the World Indoors. DOR was ranked 5 going into the race, and it was on this board that we predicted a medal.

I remember quoting my old coach who told me that
    'Its not the athlete who performs the best in major championships that wins, but the athlete who screws up the least!'

Qualifying rounds, holding areas, officialdom, hotel to venue transfers, nerves, climate change etc etc etc....they all take their toll on ALL competitors at major championships...the key is to handle and overcome them!!!...

'..if you can keep your head when all around you are loosing theirs.....'

DOR has proved that she can keep her head...!!!!!!!

Yesterday I thought she might struggle to medal, after last nights run I think she will medal, and after thinking about it a little more today I think she will get silver, behind Kallur and ahead of Bolm.

Since we are on predictions I see Cragg is doing the 15 in London which will sharpen him up nicely for the 5, and I think he'll have too much race craft for Farah but the Spaniards will be a threat as ever but I think he will take gold.

The women's 400 could also be a source of success. 3 Russians, 2 bulgarians and a belarussian are ahead of JC. Ohuruogu is doubtfull and will sanders do the 400 flat as well as hurdles. Presuming half the eastern europeans have their traditional major champ meltdown, then a 50.4-50.8 could medal, so my prediction is JC to get bronze in 50.45 (a huge jump in PB but the way she is going who knows)

So, a gold, silver and bronze for Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭SitUbuSit

Squirrel wrote:
    In training she can do 100's in around the time the nationals were won in, so she has decent basic speed.

That's my worry Squirrel. I don't think she can be a world beating 100m hurdler with 100m speed in that area. Irish Nationals were won in 11.77 and if I remember correctly, she was second in last year's Irish Nationals 100m in something around 11.53 so let's say with her improvements this year, she can run a flat 100m in the region of 11.45/11.5, I just don't know if that can cut it.

With a swarm of American girls running 12.4s and 12.5s every year, I just think she needs better speed.

Her technique is great and maybe it's just a lack of sharpness this year, that she is gradually getting back.

She did look much better in Helsinki.

I just worry too much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

That's my worry Squirrel. I don't think she can be a world beating 100m hurdler with 100m speed in that area. Irish Nationals were won in 11.77 and if I remember correctly, she was second in last year's Irish Nationals 100m in something around 11.53 so let's say with her improvements this year, she can run a flat 100m in the region of 11.45/11.5, I just don't know if that can cut it.

With a swarm of American girls running 12.4s and 12.5s every year, I just think she needs better speed.

Her technique is great and maybe it's just a lack of sharpness this year, that she is gradually getting back.

She did look much better in Helsinki.

I just worry too much :)

She's only as good as her next race, same as anyone, and as Domer has said, 'Its not the athlete who performs the best in major championships that wins, but the athlete who screws up the least!'

I'd like to seeher go quicker, but I'd like to see Cragg dip under the 13 as well. We'll have to wait and see at the Europeans

Don't forget what happened in the '92 Hurdles: Devers fell at the last with the race won and an unknown Greek took the most unexpected gold. Felicien was a fave in 2004 and fell heavily, taking out Shevchenko as well.

O'Rourke usually races above herself at championships.

Cuddihy, Cragg and maybe even McGettigan and Reale have shots.

Could be a good one for us.

And I'm on holidays for the whole thing.:(

• Advertisement

[QUOTE will sanders do the 400 flat as well as hurdles. [/QUOTE]

Sanders is concentrating on the flat this year. Won't be doing any hurdling (injury prevention). She's a very useful 400 flat runner with a PB in the 50s.

I'll stick my neck out and go for gold for Cragg; this being Ireland's only medal but top 8 finishes for Cuddihy, Gillick, O'Rourke and McGettigan. Anything better than that, in my view, will be a bonus. And.... I sincerely and genuinely hope I'm proved wrong (not about Cragg of course)!!

Advertisement