Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pioneer PDP-436XDE

• 18-07-2006 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any opinions/experience with the Pioneer PDP-436XDE?
    I've read MANY reviews about the set and it seems to be the general consensus that the picture is brilliant - almost too good as there's a higher than normal chance of screen burn in / image retention than with some other models. but then I heard that all the Pioneer PDP-436XDE made after February of this year have corrected this issue....

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

great screen but there seems to be an issue with the hdmi ports and sky hd that they are working on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭jones

i hadnt heard that before must look it up what exactly was the problem? the image retention thing is a big reason to steer clear but if they have it minimised in newer revisions it might be worth the risk!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

In a nutshell, you're advised not to use Sky HD on hdmi until it's sorted. It reportedly screws up your panel. Lots of info over on www.avforums.com about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

I have one, its an amazing plasma..

I read loads and loads into this plasma and once you drop down the settings you wont experience screen burn. I have had it nearly 3 months now and wouldnt change it for the world!!

I wouldnt worry about the screen burn problem..

I dont have Sky HD yet so I dont know about that issue!!

If you dont mind me asking where did you buy it? retailers here are giving insane prices for this set the internet as always is cheaper but has its own risks involved....

i heard about turning contrast and a few other settings down for the first few hundred hours to minimise the chance of image retention - plus i dont have sky HD yet either its such a rip off at the moment

• Advertisement

jones wrote:
    If you dont mind me asking where did you buy it? retailers here are giving insane prices for this set the internet as always is cheaper but has its own risks involved....

i heard about turning contrast and a few other settings down for the first few hundred hours to minimise the chance of image retention - plus i dont have sky HD yet either its such a rip off at the moment

I bought from Richersounds in Belfast. Cant fully remember the exact price because I got loads of stuff from them but I think it was either €4,200 or €4,500 including delivery, the speakers and the tilting wall mount. They also gave me the name of a decent lad who charges €75 an hour to mount them, normally takes around 2 to 3 hours. But I'd highly recommend not putting it up yourself!!

The main reason I went with Richersounds over other websites, with cheaper prices, was because I can drive up to Belfast with it. Richersounds also offer for 10% of the purchase price a 5 year guarantee.

In Harveys for the same price they had the HDE which didnt include the speakers!! They also had a number of a lad who would put it on the wall for €500!!

If you stick with the contrast guidelines from avforums, I'd be 99% sure you wont experience screen burn. And to be honest the setting they recommend are the ones I would choose myself, otherwise its way too bright. I was willing to take the risk and am chuffed I did!! There is no plasma out, at the moment, which even comes close to knocking this king off its throne!! The media box is amazing, being able to run all the cables to it rather then having 6 device cables running up to the tv is a god send.

I agree about Sky HD being such a rip off. They really have nothing to entice me to go Sky HD. So I reckon it will be a while before I take the step. I just download HD stuf from the web and watch it from my laptop, using the PC connector on the media box;)

If you need anymore info let me know.

Cheers

Branners

Cheers branners nice bit of info there. i have to agree with your buying from richersounds if the worst happened and you did have to go up there it wouldnt be as big a deal - slightly easier than dragging a plasma tv to germany or somewhere else in the EU. still though over 4 grand for this tv is an awful lot (if the missus ever found out haha)

If you ring talk to dave, even mention boards. He sometimes posts around here!! He told me that cos they have so many deliveries down to Dublin that there should be no problem for them to pick it up on one of their trips down here.

I got around my missus by buying her a 32" JVC LCD for her;)

It was one of my bigger gadget buys but I honestly wouldnt change it, the xbox 360 is amazing as are DVDs!!

Go for it, you only live once:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

have bought seceral times from richer and their customer service is excellent - they changed a plasma for my sis in law TWICE !

i have the older pioneer pdp434hde and it still looks good - pioneer is gr8 kit. presume ur going to get a hdmi dvd player?

Dam this temptation!! haha! to be honest i wont have the money till my SSIA matures in febuary so i've a bit of time to talk the missus into this - plus there'll hopefully be even more excellent plasma's out from Pioneer/Panasonic/etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

jones wrote:
    Dam this temptation!! haha! to be honest i wont have the money till my SSIA matures in febuary so i've a bit of time to talk the missus into this - plus there'll hopefully be even more excellent plasma's out from Pioneer/Panasonic/etc

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=8791

Plasma news Posted Monday, July 24th, 2006
    Viewed 2561 times.

8791.jpg

Pioneer takes wraps off new plasma TV range

Having given us a taste of 'next gen' plasma heaven with its Full HD PDP-5000EX monitor (check out the reviews appearing in our magazines imminently), Pioneer has now also unveiled a range of seven new plasma TVs due to hit stores in the last quarter of 2006.

The new sets mark Pioneer's seventh plasma generation, and this is reflected in their names as we find the 42in PDP-4270XD, PDP-4270XA, PDP-427XD, and PDP-427XA; the 50in PDP-507XD and PDP-507XA; and last but certainly not least, the 60in PDP-607XD.

Within these models, all those sporting 'XD' at the end carry digital tuners, while the 4270 models represent the entry level products (replacing the current SXE and RXE models). It's also worth noting here that unlike Pioneer's current plasma range, all the new models are 'one-body' affairs, rather than using external multimedia/tuner boxes.

Other facts of interest find the 42in models sporting 1024x768 resolutions, with the new 50in going for 1365x768. All the new models bar the 4270s will have two HDMI sockets, a PC input and be able handle the 1080p HD signals coming soon from Blu-ray movie discs.

On the picture performance side, Pioneer claims that a new Intelligent Dynamic Range Enhancement and refinements to its Direct Colour Filter and PUREBLACK Panel technologies deliver better brightness, contrast and sharpness, while phosphor improvements and new colour processing help deliver more vivid yet natural colours. Finally there's a new noise reduction system for tackling the blocking effect seen with low quality digital sources.

Rest assured we're hounding Pioneer to try and get some of these new screens out of them, so keep an eye out for reviews appearing just as soon as we can manage it.

Posted by John Archer
    To link to this news item, bookmark this address :
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=8791

Advertisement