Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSkyB Broadband (UK only) 16Mbps unlimited usage for £10 per month

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Several documents and releases on the left-hand panel here.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=104016&p=irol-corphome

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Actually it is two separate product families. One is "really" sky and the other resale of BT.

Either here is as likely as the moon made of Green Cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

So could you just sign up for a contract in the UK ( In a friends house) and just bring the equipment over here or does it have to be connected to a phoneline?

It's a DSL service, not satellite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

irishguy wrote:
    So could you just sign up for a contract in the UK ( In a friends house) and just bring the equipment over here or does it have to be connected to a phoneline?
    Nope, it requires a BT phone line in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Ah i see taught it was a satellite service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

From ENN article:
    The paper also reports that Sky is planning to introduce a broadband product into Ireland within the next year. The company expects to offer a fixed-line broadband product using local exchanges owned by Eircom. The company will either introduce its own product or acquire a local operator. BSkyB in the UK unveiled plans on Tuesday to bundle free high-speed internet access with its satellite TV service in Britain.
    Is there more in the original IT report?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I got a letter from Sky today (see attachment) and they claim to eventually be rolling it out no dates given but it must be in the pipeline obviously. They are offering a special pack on Sky+ etc to make up for the lack of it.

My apologies for the Scan quality. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Not a great offer, is it?

• Advertisement

Not an offer at all really, considering they expect him to chase down any details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

aye i got that letter as well and first thing i thought of is why do we need to ring them at all, why not just put it in the letter to begin with

Then we can ring if we want to order it or not, first negative thing ive ever seen from sky but ho hum

Shin

My apologies, I didn't notice the actual offer at the top of the latter. I'm terrible for scanning. Got one meself today, looks like it's going out to everyone. I'd get Sky+ if it weren't for the muppet that installed Sky in the building with only one coax line to each apartment. Not paying extra for HD channels. Ah well.

adam

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i got the letter aswell im assuming its gonna be ****e if they have no details about it. but i still cant get broadband so i may have to do if and when it comes

Today in the Sunday Times the idea of BSkyB being interested to buy SMART is aired, if there is a smart court outcome, that is:
    And finally . . . Quad play prospect may prompt Sky to get Smart

IT’S easy to see why companies go to court fighting over mobile telephone licences. Smart is there now, fighting Comreg for the fourth mobile licence, and Orange was there before, fighting for the third licence.
    To understand their motivation look no further than the kind of dosh Denis O’Brien’s Digicel is making in the Caribbean: group earnings before interest, tax and write-downs of €248m on sales of €623m. Those are margins to die for.

The outcome of the current High Court case is important to Smart, if not crucial. Comreg, which withdrew the fourth mobile licence in February, refunded the €57m payment made on the mobile licence in April. The money has been passed back to funders Sean Quinn and Anglo Irish Bank.

So there is no life-threatening financial risk on the mobile licence issue, aside from court and consultancy costs, which amount to €5m. No small sum, but not huge.

A successful outcome would, however, have a bearing on a Smart fundraising slotted for the second half of this year.

Smart stock has been trading recently at about 10p (14.6c), or half the price it was at the time of the company’s last fundraising in December.

At the time of that £30m (€44m) rights issue, Oisin Fanning, the chief executive of Smart, spoke of operating “break even” on a cash basis by the end of 2006.

However, the directors now expect this to be achieved “approximately six months later than previously expected”. Blame is placed on Eircom for dragging its heels on opening up its network and the mobile bid costs. Smart will not now be trading profitably until 2008.

We have previously drawn parallels between Smart and O’Brien’s Esat. Esat’s fixed-line business lived hand-to-mouth for years and, in truth, never amounted to much. Were it not for its mobile unit, O’Brien would never had made his millions from the sale of the business to BT.

With a mobile licence, Smart would become the only company outside of Eircom capable of offering the “quadruple play” of television, mobile, broadband and telephony. It would have inherent attractions for NTL, the only quadruple player in Britain and soon to be rebranded as Virgin. Another potential suitor is BSkyB, the satellite television station in which News International, owner of The Sunday Times, has a 35.3% stake.

The broadcaster first entered the British broadband market through an acquisition, Easynet, and last week it launched an aggressive assault on the market. It plans to do the same here. Smart has a market cap of just €60m. It looks ripe for the plucking.

A longer and more interesting article about the impact of the new LLU players in the UK is also in today's ST Broadband rush may end in bloodbath
    P.

Advertisement