Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optiplex GX280 Tower Upgrade Path

Options
  • 18-07-2006 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Ok Guys,

I have an optiplex which i got for nada, and I want to use it as a springboard for my new pc, however there is almost no info out there in relation to these machines.

So

1. - If I install a 7600gt will I need to upgrade the PSU is currently a 305w
    2. - Will it run PC5400/6400, don't care about the bandwidth loss, as above only a stepping stone - want to buy parts for future rig but still be able to use them in current.

Once I have these two bought, I will start work on getting the new rig built.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

What size psu is currently in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Sengoku79

Current PSU is 305W, have feeling I'll need to change it doh, wanted to hold off on that till later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You might scrape the 7600GT. Dell psus are decent and mostly under-rated so I think you might get away with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

HavoK wrote:
    You might scrape the 7600GT. Dell psus are decent and mostly under-rated so I think you might get away with it...

Em Dell PSUs are absolute cack!!!
    Get a decent PSU in it if you can and you should be fine.
    She might be picky with ram tho

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Dell also use custom PSU's = Fun :) A 7600 should be ok tho.

Whats the RAM currently in the system?

Try this as well: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=19352&mfr=Dell&model=OptiPlex+GX280+Desktop+%2F+Mini&root=us&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com&Sys=19352-Dell-OptiPlex+GX280+Desktop+%2F+Mini-Tower&distributor=0&submit1=Search

Dell can sometimes be picky with memory, and sometimes not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

the GX280 are not too picky about memory ive tried a few different types in mine and its worked everytime the gx520 is even less picky i have one here with ecc server memory running in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
    Try this for the PSU

And my god i dont think the mobo ina Dell will let RAM go that high will just be a waste

Em Dell PSUs are absolute cack!!!
    Get a decent PSU in it if you can and you should be fine.
    She might be picky with ram tho

My Dell 300w psu is doing me proud at the moment, it even held up for awhile with a hard drives, 2 optical drives and a 6800, although that prob wasn't overly recomended, even though I had no problems running games or the like...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Are you sure this thing even has an AGP or PCI-E slot ? Many Dell optiplexes (particularly slimline/compact ones) don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Faster memory should work on that mobo but just at slower rate. make sure its non eec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Dell machines i find are loud. My friend has 4 dells in his house and the amount of noise from them. Must be the PSU or the crappy fans they install. Should look at getting a new PSU if u want to reduce on noise, unless your dell is a quite one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Really? All of the dells where I work (tons of them) are near silent.

Stephen wrote:
    Really? All of the dells where I work (tons of them) are near silent.

Mine sounds like a NASA space shuttle preparing for launch. I was convinced there was something wrong with it when I first got it and took a look at it but seemingly not, its just loud.... In fact, its so loud that when I leave it on overnight, I can still hear it in my bedroom down the hallway....I'm so used to it by now I don't care but to be honest its pretty much unacceptable.

I have an old dell machine as well and thats quiet enough to the extent that you would barely notice if it was turned on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Most dell machines ive come across are near silent ive a gx260 2x gx270's and a gx520 running in my bedroom and the only noise they make is when the hard drives are under strain ive gone to bed without turning them off and always had a great nights sleep

Memory not running a full speed not an issue as stated before Optiplex just a stepping stone using it to house parts while I buy rest of new rig.

Re Psu thx guys here's hoping.

Re PCI-E/AGP GX280 is a PCI-e comp, wouldn't have removed it off my friends hands if it wasn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If I had to round off the amount of power a 7600GT uses, I'd put zero as my nearest approximation. Those things use pretty much no power and make no heat, they're awesome. My friend has one in his rig, after a few hours of oblivion the card wasn't even warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

peterk19 wrote:
    Most dell machines ive come across are near silent ive a gx260 2x gx270's and a gx520 running in my bedroom and the only noise they make is when the hard drives are under strain ive gone to bed without turning them off and always had a great nights sleep

same here, all the ones ive had are quiet

as for a 7600gt on the psu, that SHOULD be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

At worst you'll have to put up with the graphics currently in the machine, and use the 7600 when you get the new kit together. As I said before though, watch out for Dell's RAM compatability wise, ideally you'll want to buy PC6400 DDR2 ram in a dual pair to take advantage of Conroe/Am2 when you move to that platform.

Yeah pc6400's the plan going to build over a few months, waiting for detailed review to see what the additional advantage between the 4mb cache and 2mb cache conroe's are before I purchase.

I know that the core most under load will grab most of the cache I just want to see if 4mb give much more of an advan over 2mb. If there is none will buy the 2mb variant and o/c up.

Advertisement