Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD Shortlist - Which one

• 18-07-2006 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

I've finally a shortlist of 3 TVs, small differences in price but am looking for some feedback on what people think. They all seems to have great reviews.

(Not in any order)

37" Toshiba WL66 €1869 in Power City

37" Phillips 5321 €1969 in DID with 5% off so about €1870

40" Sony 40S2010 €2269 in Sony Center reduced from €2600ish as there is a sale and they also give a free Sony DVD recorder valued at €254 which I had planned to sell to reduce the price actual price of the TV to just over €2000

I'm leaning towards the Sony as the screen is slightly bigger and has way more features. Its also got the new bravia engine.

The Tosh is an excellent price for the reviews it gets on AVforums.com. Also has 2 HDMI connections

Phillips. Not my brand of choice but I've seen regular SKY and DVDs playing on it and the PQ has always been excellent. It also has 2 HDMI connections.

(The number of HDMI connections doesnt matter to much as you can get HDMI extenders for less than €200 should I ever need more.)

I plan to use the TV mainly for SKY and DVDs and general Digital Satellite.

Oh and then there is the 37" Panasonic PV60 Plasma (aka PX60) which is about €2269 but again has rave reviews on avforums.com as.

Oh what to do.......?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

bump! Anyone?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just so you know, you can get the Philips 42PF5521D/10 in Dixons with a stand for around the €2,000 mark. Its has a res of 1024x1080i with 2 x hdmi sockets and a 3ms response time.

Just thought i'd let you know as i'm waiting for feedback on it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 liquidb

Got my Toshiba 37" WL66 from here last week.
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/261319/art/toshiba/lcd-tv-37-94cm-16-9-hd-re.html
    Was a bit wary of pixmania's reputation for poor customer service etc etc but the TV came in within 4 days and was in perfect nick! (I went with DHL for safety). Cost me €1400 give or take (Got the delivery cost back due to a dealy in the 24-48 hour delivery policy!). Am very happy with purchase, excellent TV but regarding pixmania I do believe it is the luck of the draw!!!

Hope this helps!

Wow, €300 saving. Not bad. In terms of the TV itself. What are you running SD or HD. I'm interested to see how you find it with SKY and regular DVD.

Only use SD at the mo cept for my 360 through component HD which looks unreal!!!
    SKY is good. Depends on the channel really. BBC1&2 and RTE (believe it or not!) and alot of the SKY channels are very good (sports, one etc.)
    Getting an DVD upsaler tomorrow but SD source DVD's are pretty sweet also. I'll post a few pictures when I get home later tonight if I can think of it if that helps!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

If you do a search on Boards I did a quick review on the Samsung 40". I bought it on Komplett for €1949, I believe its now €1899. All the ones you have listed are end of line, certainly the Sony is. I demo'd a Sony X series directly against the PV60 Panny, the LCD won out IMO (And I am not biased, I went in and was about to buy the Panny). That swung me to buying LCD's only. I then stumped for the Sammy and am more than happy with it, SKY is good, but of course depending on the station. DVD's are excellent, so I can imagine what HD would look like. The cheapest website is www.katronics.de, but I still bought off Komplett even though they were €100 more for my own reasons ;)
    PS. The Panny PV60 is obviously not end of line, and if you do choose plasma, its the one to go for. I also seen Sky Sports HD in DID on my Sammy. Quite classy indeed!!

Yep that would be great. Are you using the TV speakers for sound or do you have something else?

I'm using the speakers for SKY as I don't have SKY HD or SKY plus with the optical output for sound. I use 5.1 for XBOX and DVD.
    I have attached 4 pictures(sorry bout the crap quality), one of BBC, RTE, Gladiator DVD,and one of XBOX 360.

gladiator.jpg

CIMG0345.JPG

rte2.jpg

bbc.JPG

But again beware of pixmania......

Thanks for the Pics liquid. PD looks very good. I have a wall cavity for the TV of 120x70 so the Tosh37" is a little small but the 42" would be too big but I'll put some newspaper at the size of the 37" to see if it fits. Its just narrower as it doesnt have the side speakers when compared to the Phillips.

YoYo, I just couldn't spend that type of money on a website. I know Komplett seem pretty good but on the offchance something goes wrong even if it's right away its one hell of a pain to rectify it.

Both the Sony and Phillips are new models. I'm sure new modules come out etc but sure then every model is an old model. The WL66 has been out a while but not in Ireland so even the new which is due out soon wont hit Ireland for quite a while.

I say great reviews on the Sammy but anywhere I've seen it both the Phillips and Tosh have always has a better pic on SD. Maybe its just the shop setup but given that the other 2 shared the same signal (i assume) I just wasnt sold.

Only if I could have all 3......

Advertisement