Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB6 References Not Working

Options
  • 18-07-2006 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi, maybe someone will have a better idea than me what's going on here.
    I'm in the process of moving all of my projects off an old machine and onto a new one.
    I have a project group containing 8 or 9 projects.
    When I try to compile or run I get the User-defined type not defined error. The class it is complaining about is in one of my other projects in the group.
    So going into references the project reference is already ticked. I need to uncheck it, try to compile. Then check it again and the compile works. This happens every time I open the project group for all of my references. I need to uncheck them all, try compile and recheck them.
    When I open the projects on their own the references are instead pointing to compiled dlls of my other projects and everything compiles ok.
    Anybody got any ideas?
    It only seems to be happening with the one project group, all of my other VB6 apps are working fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I think you have a problem with the Binary Compatability option in VB.

In vb Binary Compatability is set to off by default so when you recompile a dll its GUID changes everytime so your references are getting screwed up.
    I locate the first project and build it.
    Rename the dll to .cmp.
    Open Vb set the compatibility to binary and point to the .cmp file
    build the dll.
    This should ensure that your GUID doesn't change.
    Repeat for all projects

Advertisement