Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking problem

Options
  • 18-07-2006 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Currently i have a network set at home using two computers. On computer A I am using helix mobile producer to encode and transmit a video image from a web camera to a helix server (computer B). I need to access the image over the internet. How do i assign my server a static ip address so the image can be accessed outside the image. As both pcs are networked using my broadband router how do you seperate both ip address when on the internet. they both have the same ip address when i access the internet using them.

All help will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Brethser

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

brethser wrote:
    Currently i have a network set at home using two computers. On computer A I am using helix mobile producer to encode and transmit a video image from a web camera to a helix server (computer B). I need to access the image over the internet. How do i assign my server a static ip address so the image can be accessed outside the image. As both pcs are networked using my broadband router how do you seperate both ip address when on the internet. they both have the same ip address when i access the internet using them.

All help will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Brethser
    Forget about the static IP for the moment - it's probably not necessary.

The Router that you're using takes the single public IP address and shares it between the devices on the LAN. In simple terms, it does this by remembering which LAN IP address connected to which outside address, and making sure that the reply packets are sent to the correct IP address in the LAN. This means that unsolicited inbound requests are blocked. To resolve this, you need to set up "portforwarding" on the router, that will effectively lock a "port" on the router to one specific IP address on the LAN.

The details for setting up portforwarding differ from router to router - see www.portforward.com for examples.

Once you've got that sorted, you can worry about the "static address". In most cases, you can get away with a Dynamic DNS service, which many routers support. Essentially this works by having the router update the DNS address every time your public IP address changes. Some exampes of free Dynamic DNS services are DynDNS and No-IP.

Note that once you portforward to a server on your LAN, any vulnerability in the server application is accessible by attackers on the internet, so be careful.

Advertisement