Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Animal Rescue

Options
  • 18-07-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Im going down to ASH on saturday and hopefully going to take home a dog to a good home :) Just reading the directions on the site they seem a fair whack out from Dublin ? Has anybody ever been down? Hard to find?
    How long from Tallght? 40 mins? Good selection of dogs generally?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Helenas great--be prepared to put the day in though.She never stops talking and offering you tea.
    Theyre about 15 minutes past Blessington--follow the signs for the Dwight Mcallister cottage and theyre at the top of the hill.
    I wouldnt expect to bring a dog home with you though--sometimes they want you to call back to be sure you are determined to get a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Hellrazer wrote:
    Helenas great--be prepared to put the day in though.She never stops talking and offering you tea.
    Theyre about 15 minutes past Blessington--follow the signs for the Dwight Mcallister cottage and theyre at the top of the hill.
    I wouldnt expect to bring a dog home with you though--sometimes they want you to call back to be sure you are determined to get a dog.
    TOTR.Thanks. I dont mind putting the hours in or making the trips down if they have the right dog for us :)

No harm to see what they have first and then head off to buy the right stuff for the dog so they have a bed when we get them home!

Thanks for your help :)

If theres anything else I should know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I think any rescue worth it;'s salt should carry out a home check / home visit to anyone potentially adopting a dog . Thats my personal opinion.
    Handing out dogs willy nilly to anyone who calls is as far as I am concerned just making a vicious circle of the stray dog problem.

How do you know if the living environment is safe / suitable etc.

It doesn't take long and it really is one sure fire way to establish the dog is going to a good home and that the dog is suitable for their lifestyle / needs and they are suitable for the dog !!!!!!

Otherwise handing out animals to people who call on the day can be a potentially dangerous situation.

I won't go into too much detail but suffice to say I am sooo glad the rescue I help with carry out home visits as we have had some disasterous home visits and I dread to think what would have happened the dog had it just been handed out.......

Also it's a great way for 1st time dog owners / 1 time puppy owners to quiz the doggie person about needs / training etc and it can be a really useful thing for both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My brother got their dog from ASH and they didn't get a homecheck so mabey their policy is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Yeah I know all rescues have different policies - I just think personally it is a really good way of ensuring dogs / especially puppies are going to the right homes !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Sizzler wrote:
    If theres anything else I should know...

there's one other thing - print off the directions & follow them EXACTLY :) Helena & Remi are wonderful & run a fantastic rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

ASH is a fantastic rescue. Don't forget to bring a decent donation for them!

Advertisement