Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bodykits

Options
  • 18-07-2006 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

are all bodykits illegal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

bubthatub wrote:
    are all bodykits illegal?

not on cars no .

why do you ask ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bubthatub

i was told that bodykits, backboxes, tited windows, and lexus lights on modified cars were all illegal and that the cops can take your car off you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Tell whoever told you that that they were misinformed,none of the above are illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bixx

They are not illegal but there has been talk of making all modifications to cars illegal for 2007. Of course that's if the government are willing to make improved braking systems, new headunits, better tyres illegal and close down a lot of businesses, so I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bubthatub

what about the ncts would havin side skirts and body kits and the like not make them fail yhe nct

• Advertisement

bubthatub wrote:
    what about the ncts would havin side skirts and body kits and the like not make them fail yhe nct

Why would they fail?Once theres no smashed lights or bumpers hanging off theres no reason for them not to pass,the same as any other car on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 reddzer316

bubthatub wrote:
    i was told that bodykits, backboxes, tited windows, and lexus lights on modified cars were all illegal and that the cops can take your car off you

the tints can be a bit dodgy depending on which gaurds you get. exhausts are alright as long as the emmissions are legal as far as i know but my uncle told me they were handing out noise pollution fines in carlow so be warned!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those exhausts should fail. they're very dangerous looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TuneR

@ Elexes nice car buddy:cool:

If the gov were to ban all that then there would be a load of people out of business, i mean there is not going to be many people commiting to show ONLY cars. Also imagine all the imports that would have to be modified back to standard when coming into the country. The VRT :mad: is high enough without having to have any bodykits taken off and replaced with standard parts!

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    Those exhausts should fail. they're very dangerous looking
    they passed

cheers tuner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

elexes, lovely car mate!

How have the zausts not melted your bumper!

Is that an ibher rear you had put on from a civic?Id the same rear on my last one

there made from cf so heat is small

the origional bumper from the altezza wasnt big enough to hold them so had to use the bumper from a civic

if it dose ever pop up that this is becomming a problom then ill switch them out and head down a more proformance road. but for the moment im happy with what ive got . there more silient then the one that came with the altezza :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Elexws - interesting looking car.

Bubthatun - bodykits, AFAIK, aren't illegel.

Tinting is iffy - on motors there is a thread about a case over tint being thrown out of court. IIRC, there is a legal limit to tint on the front windows. Some people say there's a limit on the rear windscreen, too, but then look at many panel vans and car derived vans that have solid panels instead of rear windscreens. How would you test darkness level at a checkpoint/NCT?

Exhausts are iffy, too. This can come down to being too loud, but a lot of performance cars come loud out of the factory - just don't annoy the Garda. Also, decibels can be metered. NCT failure is more likely to come down to emissions or the removal of the cat.

Lights MUST habe correct colours and level of colour - I know several cars have failed NCT due to indicators not being orange enough (I've yet to see an orangometer!!!) Brake and rear lights must be distinctly red.

Non-factory alloys currently aren't illegal, but watch out for offsets (make sure they're right, otherwise you can leave yourself in danger), and make sure that the tyres aren't so wide as to rub the arches/affect your turning lock (you'll be forever changing tyres!!!). Also, AFAIK, tyres must not protrude past the body of the car.

Hope this helps. And, if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me shortly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Back windows blacked out on vans is legal as they're classed as commercial vehicles, but it's different for cars. Also, you won't fail for indicators not being "orange" enough now, you'll be told to come back with new orange bulbs, that was just changed. Yes, i know you used to, but they had a bit of a reform recently, as in the last 2 weeks

Thanks for the clarification. Hadn't realised the "orange" rule had changed (know several people with Jap import 323's who had to spend monet getting their lights changed because of that one!)

Any idea why a car derived van with a panel rear windscreen falls under different rules to a car with a tinted rear screen? And aren't Limos allowed the blackest of tints on the back?

Fey! wrote:
    Thanks for the clarification. Hadn't realised the "orange" rule had changed (know several people with Jap import 323's who had to spend monet getting their lights changed because of that one!)

Any idea why a car derived van with a panel rear windscreen falls under different rules to a car with a tinted rear screen? And aren't Limos allowed the blackest of tints on the back?

due to some vans not having a back window and limo's not having visability through the back due to privacy windows / visor they are let off . basicly the drivers window front passinger and front window should imo be allowed a slight tint

I have a light tint all around, and on our van (a Kia Sedona Combi), we have the back passenger windows (rear sliding doors) darker than the front (front is light, but the combination makes them all look the same). Gauranteed by the fitters and the garages they did them for that it's all legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Very nice car! I was told neon light's are illegal and having blue light's on the front are illegal my mate was stopped one night the guards told him having the blue lights on the front are illegal because if he is driving by someone they might think he is the guards.

I'm not sure about the rest but if I remember right wasn't the goverment bringing something in like if the car even has tinted windows or a body-kit it will fail NCT?

• Advertisement

It was that guy in Clontarf (Ivor something-or-other; I'm sure a few of his fans on here can confirm his surname) who was trying to bring the tinting ban in. He's since been ousted for having his house painted for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

elexes wrote:

Thats just stunning.And calling out for some suicide or lambo doors tbh. nicest altezza ive seen in this country.

Good job

anti wrote:
    Thats just stunning.And calling out for some suicide or lambo doors tbh. nicest altezza ive seen in this country.

Good job

cheers and your totally right about the doors im looking at suicide doors atm trying to find out about how the nct would look at them. also look to get cf doors and have them sprayed . but there pricy doors . cheers for the comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

now that would be nice. www.lambodoors.co.uk iirc. to lazy to check atm :p

Advertisement