Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a Modem Without a Computer/Pc

• 18-07-2006 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is it possible to send data to a web server/internet page from a modem or the like without having a PC/Laptop/Mobile Phone etc.

What I would like to do is connect some harware to my phone line at home that will send data read in from some harware devices to another server I will ahve running elsewhere. Is it possible to do?

So just to make it clearer. I want to send some values (numbers) from my telephone to a webpage or straight onto a server database. I cannot have a PC or mobile phone connected. and it must be cheap. Just though it mightbe possible to connect a modem straight up to the telephone line and write some code a chip to access the server? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Emm no TBH whats wrong with having a comp do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Well it is a project Im trying to do with a budget less than £200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

There are hundreds of 2nd hand computers worth nothing that would do this. I ended up giving aways PIIs a couple of months back. You should be able to pick up a 128Mb/PII for nothing and put linux on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I assume you meant using a serial modem, not USB or PCi.

Possible? Sure.

If this is just a once off then probably some pic or atmel development board, with a max-232 and small memory chip could be used for a low price.

Then you'd have to program the pic to send your dialling string, isp username and password, http commands, modem hangup.

Don't see how this is any different to attaching an old mobile with built in GSM modem though, except for learning purposes.

By the way, in case I gave the impression that this is trivial, you'll need to get familiar with using for example, a micro TCP/ip stack written for a microcontroller. e.g. http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip/ports.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

finnpark wrote:
    I want to send some values (numbers) from my telephone to a webpage or straight onto a server database.
    So what you want is to be able to interact with a remote application via a telephone handset? Yes, it can be done reasonably cheaply (but there is a price in terms of level of difficulty). If the remote server was running Asterisk and had an approprate card for accepting calls, then an application could be written to interact with your call and insert your supplied data into a database.

Asterisk = Free
    PSTN Card = possibly cheap, you'd need to look on eBay
    Server = I'm assuming you already have one
    Learning Curve = Steep

Regards,

Liam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

finnpark wrote:
    Is it possible to send data to a web server/internet page from a modem or the like without having a PC/Laptop/Mobile Phone etc.
    I know you mentioned 'without a mobile' but would the following, using a mobile work?
    You'd browse to a webpage (a simple cgi form) and enter the details and submit. The cgi would write to the database.

Advertisement