Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to foreign colleges/universities

Options
  • 18-07-2006 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

My sister is thinking of applying to some foreign universities to study medicine, at the moment she is looking at both Russia and Canada( something to do with not liking hot weather, I think).
    One of the problems she has is verifying that she meets the entry requirements.
    Should she just send them a photocopy of her LC results in the post or is it possible to scan them and send them by email? Does anyone else have experience of applying to foreign colleges that you could share here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Canadian medical schools are incredibly competitive to get into. And I think they're like the US system in that you have to have an undergraduate degree before you go to medical school. It's also massively expensive, and they have very strict quotas about how many students from outside a given province can attend medical school within that province. In fact, lots of Canadians come over to Ireland to go to medical school (especially RCSI).

If she already has a degree, I don't think it's necessary to send proof of LC results. I applied to a bunch of places to do postgraduate study (in the humanities) and nowhere wanted a copy of my LC results (although I listed them on my CV).

If she doesn't have a primary degree, on the other hand, Canada's not really an option for medical school. There are lots of medical schools in the UK. Also I've heard of people going to Prague to study medicine, so she might want to look into that.

The most important thing about applying abroad is that deadlines are MUCH earlier than for the CAO - some are as early as September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

She doesn't have a primary degree she did her leaving cert this year so she doesn't know what points she got but she thinks she didn't get enough for anything she wants here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 doc strangelove

It's possible to get into some of the UK schools on 520 points or above as they usually only stipulate you have to get an A or a B, rather than A1 etc. The only problem is that what they lack in their demand for exam results compared to Irish schools, they expect you to have a lot of extracurricular activities that show teamwork, initiative and leadership. On top of that you will have to perform well at interview for quite a few of them. Speaking as someone who got into a British medical school and not an Irish one, they are a great alternative route for talented applicants who may not have the stellar scores that Irish medical schools demand, but can compensate with other aspects of their character.

Alternatively, Charles University in Prague is another good bet. It would be most unwise for your sister to study medicine in Russia; there is no guarantee she would be granted a licence to practice in the EU when she finishes.

Advertisement