Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Searching for a gearbox\Diff: B5 (1997) Passat

Options
  • 18-07-2006 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Feckin' diff packed in last week in the Passat and im brainstorming for places that I can either have it replaced or source the parts at a reasonable cost. I might get some recon'd driveshafts too. Its a 1.6L 8v Petrol BTW.

So far traynors up north comes to mind.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Try Naas gearbox centre for a reconditioned unit, probably the best option tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

if you know any polish car nuts, let them look on the net in poland. you can get ANYTHING for german cars over there for half nothing. shipping can't cost that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sound like the standard 1.6l engine. Try Duffy's on the Long Mile Road. Its a common enough engine/gearbox so it should be easy to locate. Check the sticker in the boot and identify your gearbox code (3 letter code) and make sure you get one the same to avoid any unforseen differences!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

thanks for those guys, ill shop around.

The engine code is AHL, needed to know this when I did the timing belt\water pump two weeks ago! Is this code paired with the gearbox?

Has anyone heard of an issue where the bolts shear off the crownwheel in the diff?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be paired with a few different gearboxes which could have subtle differences. Best to get an identical match of gearbox and engine for a hassle free remove and install. Some mismatches can be handy too - but no guarantees there.

AHL is a very common 1.6 engine code so chances are the gearbox is quite common. Check the sticker in the boot, wheel well, left hand side for vehicle data.

• Advertisement

AHL is a very common 1.6 engine code so chances are the gearbox is quite common. Check the sticker in the boot, wheel well, left hand side for vehicle data.

He he, the sticker is worn so ill have to see if I can find it on the casing. Should be a bit of craic changing the gearbox. Might do the clutch while im at it.

Im selling it soon so if anyone is looking for a Passat with about 60% new parts, give me a bell!

Just to give an update on this.....

I sourced a used gearbox incl diff for €200 and I have a guy who wants to buy my casing for €100. So im doing pretty good there.

Now there was a vibration on the passenger side that was noticeable when you got to about 65MPH and above. The brake disk is good & wheel is balanced so im thinking the inner CV joint?

The breakers yard I got the gearbox from is asking €80 for a driveshaft incl CV's. Im thinking this is a bit steep for a used and possibly knackered part. Now I can return it within 7 days, but its the hassle im worried about!

Is €80 about right for a used driveshaft, im was thinking more like €50. He said he normally charges €100 :rolleyes:

Failing that, does anybody (crosstownk :)) know where I could get someone who has a hydraulic press to replace the inner joint on this shaft? I can do the outer myself but the inner is an interferance fit.

Advertisement