Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best bank in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

i use Ulster Bank which suit me

i have a dual card account - i have internet access to it, able to set up my esb, eircom and mobile phone bill so i can pay directly from my account.

the only thing with the no fee (which i found out), i get sky paid out of my account each month by direct debit but i hadn't enough funds one month and they charged me €12!

not too pushed on aib - used to have an account with them
    don't know anything about boi

have credit card with halifax any contact with them so far is fine, but they only provide current account

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Funny thread this, still going over a year later from OP, I wonder has he made it to Ireland and managed to open the bank account?

AIB internet business banking is first class, and general services are also AOK. Sure they charge a few fees but IMO they're worth it!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

andrew1977 wrote:
    I'm with Permanent Tsb, cannot fault them and the free banking charges saves a few quid every year.
    I was with AIB and in my opinion not a great bank to be with , high charges for everyday banking and not the most helpful when enquiring about a loan,customer services etc.
    Moved to TSB about 3 years back and will be sticking with them.

Permanent TSB may have lower charges but they seem to offer a really crap service. All their branches are CLOSED ALL DAY SATURDAYS since May 2003 according to their website. What kind of service is that for a building society even one pretending to be a bank! My daughter had her lazer card stolen abroad and when I reported it stolen for her they promised me they would have a new one ready at the branch when she arrived back in Ireland but when she rang to arrange collection they only then started the replacement card process and ten days later she still has not got a replecement card and the phone service is really unhelpful.

I you want to find a serious alternative to AIB/BOI I would definitely consider Halifax ( Bank of Scotland Ireland) who are open Saturdays and have helpful branch staff without long queues in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ernest wrote: »
    Permanent TSB may have lower charges but they seem to offer a really crap service. All their branches are CLOSED ALL DAY SATURDAYS since May 2003 according to their website. What kind of service is that for a building society even one pretending to be a bank! My daughter had her lazer card stolen abroad and when I reported it stolen for her they promised me they would have a new one ready at the branch when she arrived back in Ireland but when she rang to arrange collection they only then started the replacement card process and ten days later she still has not got a replecement card and the phone service is really unhelpful.

I you want to find a serious alternative to AIB/BOI I would definitely consider Halifax ( Bank of Scotland Ireland) who are open Saturdays and have helpful branch staff without long queues in my experience.
    Actually ptsb would have told you because you were cancelling it on her behalf that she would have to go to the branch to order the laser card as it was cancelled as hot. Laser cards aren't sent to the branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

If you are going to be transferring money back home regularly, make sure that whichever bank you choose can do international transfers directly from their Internet Banking system. NIB do this, but not all the others have this facility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pjbarnes16

Funny thread this, still going over a year later from OP, I wonder has he made it to Ireland and managed to open the bank account?

AIB internet business banking is first class, and general services are also AOK. Sure they charge a few fees but IMO they're worth it!!:D

Yeah Sonnenblumen, I made it! And I didn't really have a choice in which bank I went with because as soon as I moved my company opened up an AIB account for me. To be honest, I've been very happy with it as they offer decent interest rates on savings as well as fee-free transactions. No complaints!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I use BOI as they are the only ones with a branch in my village - so I support the local jobs etc... I try not to use online banking as much as possible, again, visit the bank and keep the girls there in a job, besides they're pretty easy on they eye! Because I use online banking and pay my credit card I get fee free banking. Happy all round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I work for another Bank, but I bank with Ulster Bank, and have done since I was 10. Excellent. If I ever has a problem, they fix it fairly quickly. I have never paid fees either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anothercupoftea

Steer clear of NIB. They were great a couple of years ago but try calling them on any of the '24 hour' lines now and when you EVENTUALLY get through, you just get told to go and see your branch. What an about turn from 2 years ago when all they wanted you to do was avoid the branch and use call centres and online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm with BOI in Ireland. I have never had any major problems with them but I do find it's the luck of the draw when you go to the bank if you get someone who knows their job or who talks out of their hat. I use internet banking most of the time anyway.

A side note about fees: This really isn't the most expensive country for fees. I opened a bank account in France in the cheapest bank, and it is ~40 euros a year for the absolute most basic package (I'm not talking about government levies, this is a fee). And basically everything you do gets charged more than Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dragging monsters up from the depths is not acceptable.

Thread closed.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement