Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webhosting change advice

Options
  • 18-07-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

hi,
    hope you guys might be able to help me with this one. bought a years hosting for a business website from a company in the uk june 06.everything was fine and around march I decided to get another domain and host it with the same company. again all fine. June 06 comes around and I get emails every day about renewing the hosting for the first domain which i no longer use. I emailed back to say i wished to have the hosting canceled. No reply just more demands for money. sent a registered letter last week explaining the situation. Come home yesterday to find my new domain hosting suspended. said sod this for a game of soldiers and got a years hosting from a different company. went in to the dns server listing page where i had bought the domain (not the same guys as the hosting comapny) and changed over the dns. all dns lookup pages now report the new dns but email and www are still going to the old company.

probably paranoia but can they have put some sort of hold on my domain name? or will it just take more time for the new dns to resolve. 24 hours now and email etc is down. any help much appreciated.
    cheers,
    Jack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

jackbauer wrote:
    probably paranoia but can they have put some sort of hold on my domain name? or will it just take more time for the new dns to resolve. 24 hours now and email etc is down. any help much appreciated.
    DNS entries have a TTL entry, which is the number of seconds that the DNS name can be cached before it should be discarded and looked up again.

So when you looked up a DNS record, your ISPs DNS servers cache the result for whoever long the DNS response says the record should be good for. It might be 5 minutes (www.rte.ie), 10 minutes (www.eircom.ie), 1 hour (www.boards.ie), 24 hours (www.boi.ie) or even longer, depending on what the TTL setting is/was.

A DNS server that hasn't looked up your DNS address recently, and doesn't have it cached, will get the new DNS address, but a DNS server that cached the old address won't know to look for the new address until the cashed address expires.

The old hostng provider has no control over this (except on his own DNS servers - so if you were hosted with a large ISP, theoretically users of that ISP could be blocked from accessing the new site, but that's ulikely).

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

foxwood , many thanks for that!

Advertisement