Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy mence from Lidl

• 18-07-2006 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Just got mince from lidl, checked the date before i left the shop and it said 23th July, so i thought grand. Got home and the bottom the mince had turned brown. Looked up lild's website for a contact number but there customer service closes at 5.00. Does anybody know what my legal standings are?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

ohandels wrote:
    Just got mence from lidl, checked the date before i left the shop and it said 23th July, so i thought grand. Got home and the bottom the mence had turned brown. Looked up lild's website for a contact number but there customer service closes at 5.00. Does anybody know what my legal standings are?

Do you mean Mince by any chance?

Just take it back to the store tomorrow and demand a refund. Will be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

They're great if you want to return something, should be no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

given the heat out there, its probably just mild discolouration.
    Did it smell bad?

I'd mince today from Tesco in the Fridge with a BBD of today and it was pretty brown, but still was fresh.
    I just cooked it well and it was delish ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Brown does not equal gone off. Meat is meant to be brown, but for commercial reasons people add nitrates to beef and pack it in inert gas so it stays an unnaturally vivid red. If it is brown and dry however, I'd bring it back for a refund.

Does it smell clean? Has it been kept cold & was it cold when you bought it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

wtf is mence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

wtf is mence?

Probably some kind of German dish :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

K-TRIC wrote:
    Probably some kind of German dish :confused:
    mmmmMMMmmmmmmm.
    Mence, by Armin Meiwes.
    "How do you like your man-meat?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

"Denis the menace" :D

wow, that was retarded

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

correct me if I'm wrong but I think off-coloured meat isn't necessarily off-meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The argument of dis-coloured looking meat not neccesarily being bad is a valid one. But with mince I'd take a different tack. You have to be more careful with hygiene on minced products. They have a very high surface area to mass ratio so can be much more open to gathering little baddies. Bring it back tomorrow. Or how about suing them for the trauma!?;)

• Advertisement

frobisher wrote:
    The argument of dis-coloured looking meat not neccesarily being bad is a valid one. But with mince I'd take a different tack. You have to be more careful with hygiene on minced products. They have a very high surface area to mass ratio so can be much more open to gathering little baddies. Bring it back tomorrow. Or how about suing them for the trauma!?;)
    True, but bacteria don't cause brown discolouration, only ageing/exposure to air does that. You could have a fluorescent red batch of spotless appearing mince that was crawling with e-coli. I just always cook the bejesus out of any mince, unless I've bought the whole piece of meat & minced it myself or knew the cow it came from, which is basically never nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Isn't mince just the most unappealing name for a food ever? Apart from mence of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Shabadu wrote:
    unless I've bought the whole piece of meat & minced it myself or knew the cow it came from, which is basically never nowadays.

I'd love to mince my own meat. I've never even considered it though, do you have a mincer? And have you ever actually known the cow you've just eaten, kinda cool if you did! I've never eaten a cow I've previously known but I've kissed a few!

Gordon:
    This post got me thinking. I've probably cooked mince for you.... or were you one of those vegemetarians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

frobisher wrote:
    I'd love to mince my own meat.

Shouldn't this be in PI, or S&S? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I've drunk milk from cows that I milked! (OK, I didn't milk them - I put the sucker machine things on their nipples and it scared me frightfully as I was really young)

You probably made taco fillings for me frobisher, I don't think I ate large meals there. I remember always snaffling soup from you though. I'm only a veggie in the couch potato sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭daymobrew

frobisher wrote:
    I'd love to mince my own meat. I've never even considered it though, do you have a mincer?
    I buy round steak and put it into my food processor (Braun handprocessor). At least you know what you're getting and how much fat is going into it.
    I've minced chicken breast too and used it in bolognase (sp?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Oh you bought it in Lidl - that's ok - minced dog is supposed to look like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Question... how far away are you from Lidl and how hot was your car? I mean its possible the mince just started cookingin the heat unless you are only mins away! If you walked then definatly could have cooked.

I left some frozen tuna steaks out to defrost and they cooked in the heat.. well the bottom of them.. i then BBQ'd them. Never buying frozen tuna again.. its fresh or nothing.

frobisher wrote:
    I'd love to mince my own meat. I've never even considered it though, do you have a mincer? And have you ever actually known the cow you've just eaten, kinda cool if you did! I've never eaten a cow I've previously known but I've kissed a few!

Gordon:
    This post got me thinking. I've probably cooked mince for you.... or were you one of those vegemetarians?
    Yeah, we had one of those old hand crank mincers you put on the side of the table, and I come from a family of farmers, so we used to have a bit of one of Uncle Pat's cows on occasion when I was a kid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭weemcd

Working at a butchers counter, there is nothing wrong with the meat being a darker colour. Thats just the natural way the mince goes, there is the bright red colouring when you see it sitting behind the glass, but when you take a scoop out its usually darker underneath, this is nothing to worry about, especially with the heat these days. It's basically more blood in parts of the meat, which is cooked off anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

nothing wrong with mince or beef going brown, it's meant to be that way as has already been said. if I'd been there I'd have happily eaten it raw in front of you to prove my point. nothing like a bit of raw mince when you're cooking. :)

Advertisement