Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 3d Fighter on Playstation 1

• 18-07-2006 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a 3d fighting game for the ps1 and seeing as I wasn't really interested in fighting games when they were being released on the console I have no clue as to what are the best ones.

I know Tekken is highly thought of but I remember playing it a while back and finding it too slow for my liking.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tekken is a bit slow for my likings as well although I have to admit Tekken 3 was the pinnacle of the series. You might want to try out Soul Blade which is the prequel to Soul Calibur and a fine game to boot. Much faster than Tekken.

The best fighting game on the PS1 by those who know their beat'em ups is Squaresofts Tobal No.2

Not only is it a fantastic beat'em up that is well balanced and features, I've heard, about 200 playable characters, the game also includes a rather excellent RPG/beat'em up hybrid along with your usual arcade, survival, etc. modes.

If you are not a graphics whore and can appreciate a gorgeous 2D fighting game then you can't do better than Street Fighter Alpha/zero 3. Although not as good as the Saturn port it's still an excellent port of the arcade game. (It's worth checking out the SF2 collections but the load times kind of ruin the experience). I'm also a big Darkstalkers fan, especially 3.

If you want by far the best Beat'em up of the 32-bit generation you will need a saturn. Virtua Fighter 2 beats anything on the PS1 hands down. The PAL conversion also runs at full screen and full speed unlike any of the PS1 tekken games.

Two final notes:
    1. If you are thinking of playing any Capcom fighters get a decent 6 button joypad or joystick.
    2. Unless you are really lazy and can't chip your PS1 or get a swap disk make sure you only buy the American or Japanese versions of any beat'em up. European versions run in a bordered view and worst of all are 17% slower than the NTSC versions. This makes a huge difference to games. A slow game like Tekken is almost unplayable due to this slow down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Rival Schools was pretty good too. Perfect for quick and easy bouts of madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

woah what a reply, much appreciated! I had never even heard of tobal no.2, I'll have to look it up. I was trying to remember the name of Soul Blade as well, I think I'll get that, I vaguely remember my bro playing it with his homies and it looked like good craic.

I heard that the 2d street fighters etc. didn't play very well on the ps1 so I wasn't going to consider them but if they are as good as on any other console I might.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The 2D games compared to the Saturn versions aren't as close to the arcade versions but the later games such as SFA3 and darkstalkers 3 are fine conversions and perfectly playable on the PS1 with only visual differences like a few missing frames and such.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I always liked Pocket Fighters myself, Tekken 3 was great alright and Soul Blade but I still default to Fighters Megamix on the Saturn for 3D kicks from that gen.
    Kinda liked Bloody Roar 1/2 for the PS1 as well, big dumb fun.

Anyone else remember how much that Star Wars fighting game sucked, my god, so many screw ups so little time, suffice it to say that in a genre that relies on razor sharp timing there was at least 0.5 sec delay between pushing a button and your badly rendered character hitting Vader a smack, deary deary me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Soul Calibur on the DC FTW! :D Or SC2 (gamecube version)

But my fav on the ps1 was Tekken3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I

Anyone else remember how much that Star Wars fighting game sucked, my god, so many screw ups so little time, suffice it to say that in a genre that relies on razor sharp timing there was at least 0.5 sec delay between pushing a button and your badly rendered character hitting Vader a smack, deary deary me!

That was Masters of The Terra Kasi. Every Star Wars game on the PS1 or 2 sucked.

The Official UK PlayStation mag still managed to give The Phantom Menace 9/10. Perhaps something to do with the fact that they had an exclusive European review ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Lemlin wrote:
    That was Masters of The Terra Kasi. Every Star Wars game on the PS1 or 2 sucked.

The Official UK PlayStation mag still managed to give The Phantom Menace 9/10. Perhaps something to do with the fact that they had an exclusive European review ;)

I loved the Phantom Menace, thought it was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

My vote would go to soul blade, spent many a day bashing away with my mate, Cervantes or Voldo all the time. The stage on the floating raft rocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'd say Soul Blade or Tekken 2. Both excellent games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know its off topic but I really liked the first StarWars StarFighter game on the PS2, not the Jedi follow up though, and Battlefront/II were excellent as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

I would recommend u get Dead or Alive 1 on the Playstation, or Tekken 3..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shortie989

wat do ya mean Battlefront was bad!!! Tis brilliant!! The only gud star wars game out der! I also liked the phantom menace and jedi power battles(PS1) but mayb i just thought that cos i was 9!!?

Tekken and Soul Caliber wer my fave eat em ups dey wer excellent!:D

Advertisement