Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3G for gaming

• 18-07-2006 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking at the possibility at finally getting a decent net connection via a vodafone mobile connect card. They promise "unlimited" - capped to 5gig - access. Assuming the 3G reception is decent enough, you could see rates of 300K down.

So what's peoples' take on 3G for gaming? Is latency going to be a curse? I'm currently shelling out 30euro p/m for freaking 64k ISDN, which I gave up on for gaming a long time ago (waves to jarhedz/radox past). For an extra 20euro I could possibly have a decent connection at long last. Because where I live, there just is no hope for broadband :/

COMMENTS!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Whats the upload rate?

64K ISDN is poor enough but to be honest should still be ok on Irish game servers. I've seen people play modern games like BF2 with even 56k on Irish servers. Do you have the option of 128k isdn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

HavoK wrote:
    Do you have the option of 128k isdn?

No, because flat rate net access like Anytime does not handle two simultaneous connections.

I can imagine 3g might be unreliable for gaming, plus with a 300k down rate I'm sure the upload rate would probably be something pretty measly added to that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

downstream = 384kbps
    upstream = 64kbps

I'd say with 64k up you should be able to play on Irish/UK servers relatively fine, provided the 3G coverage is reliable and not patchy leading to spikes or dropouts...

• Advertisement
Advertisement