Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please Panasonic LCD/Pixmania

• 18-07-2006 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Two Questions.
    1. I'm looking at buying a 32" Panasonic LCD, reviews seem to be good, anyone have have any experience of them?
    2. There are very good deals on Pixmania, but when I phoned Panasonic to see if they would provide warranty, they said Pixmania TV's wouldnt work in Ireland. This would seem to be against EU competition law. Again, anyone have any experience of this?
    Thanks in advance.
    BowWow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Firstly, do you have the link to the TV you are thinking of buying?

Secondly, no matter how good the deal looks on pixmania, I wouldn't personally buy something that big or pricey from them, as its a huge hastle with aftersales.

I'm speaking from experience aswell.

Panasonic should provide warranty. You are purchasing it in the EU so you are entitled to it. It should be no different than if you bought it up the North, or in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

panasonic are right in what they so . unless the tv is sorced in ireland it doesnt have a uhf/vhf tuner its not a warranty issue per say.

try alliance electric on georges st they are normally very good on price on panasonic tvs . i bought my panasonic plasma there . while there was a differnece between their price and online prices i found them to be very helpful and that alone was worth the extra few quid.

ask for mark or will sound blokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

Thanks for this. Link below is for set I was looking at. Price in Bray is €1,799 so you can see there's a big difference.
    I've spoken to Pixmania and they assure me set is to "Irish" spec on tuner. Also spoke to man who bought 32" Samsung from Pixmania - worked perfectly.
    Will try georges St on Sat. and see if there's a deal available.
    BowWow.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/313175/art/panasonic/lcd-television-16-9-32-80.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

you need to make sure it has a uhf & vhf tuner i have a funny feeling that the F on the end of the model number means it has a freeview tuner and therefore not the irish model which normally end in PIR. panasonic are the only brand i can think of that do this so a samsung or other brands dont have similar problems

I can see why Panasonic has said they will not entertain you with warranty as this version (TX-32LX60F) of the TV seems to be only sold in mainland europe not to the UK/IRL market.

There is a version in UK called the TX32XD60
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/lcd-tv/tx-32lxd60/index.htm
    its a digital tuner version.

But the good news is Komplett. TX-32LX60
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319763
    €1,229

Id prefer them tbh over pixmania and they have an interaction forum here if you have any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BowWow wrote:
    I've spoken to Pixmania and they assure me set is to "Irish" spec on tuner.
    But in the specs it only lists PAL B/G and D/K, the UK and Ireland use PAL I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_television_system

This could mean not getting a picture, or getting a picture but no sound.

Sparky-s wrote:
    But the good news is Komplett. TX-32LX60
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319763
    It doesn't list PAL I either :(

Edit: This one does - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319033&view=detailed

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

I've had a look around on this, and it's interesting.
    Basically I want to buy a Panasonic 32"LCD.
    *Peats will sell me a TX32LX60 for €1,799.
    *Discount Electric/Clearys will sell me a TX32LX60 for €1,750.
    *Mitchell TV Malahide will sell me a TX32LX60PIRD for €1,699. The salesperson didnt know what the PIRD meant.
    *Totterdells Dun Laoghaire will sell me a TX32LX60 for €1,599. Salesperson said set had a Digital Tuner - but I think they meant it would work on NTL Digital.
    *Alliance Georges St will sell me a TX32LX60PIRD for €1,599. Sales person knew what PIRD was for and explained about VHF/UHF Tuner. Also knew set had not got a digital tuner.
    *DID Stillorgan will sell me a TX32LX60PIRD for €1,699. Salesperson said set had a digital tuner, and that the LX60 was the same set, but with a black cabinet!
    *Pixmania - youve seen post above, but tuner spec seems to have more detail than a week ago. I sent them an email asking what the tuner spec was, and would it work in Ireland, also what was the F for at the end of the type number. They replied that they wouldnt have it advertised on their site if it didnt work. "Tuner Standard PAL B/G, D/K SECAM L, L', D/K AVNTSC: AL-525/60, NTSC, M-NTSC Hyper-band mode"
    *Harvey Norman, recommended by Panasonic web site. Dont stock Panasonic.
    *Komplet will supply as per previous post. But dont know what the tuner spec is in a TX32LX60, suggested I speak to Panasonic.
    finally,
    *Panasonic Shop Limerick. Will supply a 32LX60PIRD for €1,599. and as a special will give a Panasonic DVD player free. DVD player worth €149. Asked for a discount instead of DVD player and price went to €1,499. Very helpful salesperson, Cian, explained all about UK VHF tuners, UK Freeview tuners, Irish VHF/UHF tuners.
    Choice now rests between Panasonic Shop Limerick and Komplet - €270 cheaper.
    Any comments?
    BowWow

Well its really up to yourself in terms of how you feel.
    I know the LG model posted above has less spec as the panny.
    Even though the panny does not have Pal I, are you intending on using it for normal broadcasts or with a STB?

If the specs dont say thats its Pal I, have any of the retailers you mention above had to replace panels because they could not receive Irish channels.
    Or maybe the majority of users are probably using a STB.

Advertisement