Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow for rednecks?

Options
  • 18-07-2006 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

we're moving 12 miles out from galway to the middle of nowhere, so there goes my DSL connection, and wow along with it.... (and i've only been playin wow for a little over a month!)

is it possible to still play this game somehow? any alternatives to dsl? the game is not playable on 56k, and i don't think there really isn't anything i can do about it... but i figure i'd make a post in the small chance there is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

ISDN, wireless, satelite off hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WTF_L2P_n00b

One of our Hunters in Croatia plays on 56k, it must be fine, he pulls in MC etc and does a damn good job of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 medi

everyone i've talked to so far laughed at the idea of playin wow on 56k.. i've read on forums that sometime peoples connections cut out when they enter a big city with lots of people, they say other characters will teleport around, i'm a warrior and like playin in wsg and the pvp side of wow, so i really need a good connection

i'm really not up to speed on technology but from what i remember isdn is equivalent to two regular telephone lines - which means 14kb down - 10 kb up?? (which prolly isn't enough in certain situations which will generate lag)

i also remember reading a web page that said satellite is not good for gaming, and.... i dunno about this wireless thing?

listen, if anyone here lives in the country and plays world of warcraft through isdn or satellite or whatever, could you say which isp you're with, what you pay, it would help a lot

i've already canceled my subscription to world of warcraft, so i'm really not expecting to be able to get this working, like i said it's worth asking i guess, thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

ive posted this a number of times... i have played WOW on a 33k modem and raided MC on 33k all without any trouble what so ever..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

wow uses very little bandwidth.. the people using sh*t modems are probably playing on sh*t computers too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

NotMe wrote:
    wow uses very little bandwidth.. the people using sh*t modems are probably playing on sh*t computers too

lol.... where did you come up with that stat!
    i have 2GB RAM, 300GB RAID, 2X7800GTX SLI mode, 6.1 Sorround sound, etc...

but having a good PC will really help when your using low connection speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I believe what he was suggesting is that most people who play with modems, may also be using sub standard computers. This would explain how so many of them have problems playing WoW "on 56k". As you have demonstrated, having a fast computer means that the network speed is probably not the bottleneck for alot of players.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

medi wrote:
    everyone i've talked to so far laughed at the idea of playin wow on 56k.. i've read on forums that sometime peoples connections cut out when they enter a big city with lots of people, they say other characters will teleport around, i'm a warrior and like playin in wsg and the pvp side of wow, so i really need a good connection

i'm really not up to speed on technology but from what i remember isdn is equivalent to two regular telephone lines - which means 14kb down - 10 kb up?? (which prolly isn't enough in certain situations which will generate lag)

i also remember reading a web page that said satellite is not good for gaming, and.... i dunno about this wireless thing?

listen, if anyone here lives in the country and plays world of warcraft through isdn or satellite or whatever, could you say which isp you're with, what you pay, it would help a lot

i've already canceled my subscription to world of warcraft, so i'm really not expecting to be able to get this working, like i said it's worth asking i guess, thanks in advance

emm just my 2cents here but i was playing on a 1.7 centrino with 512mb ram on a 3mb line and had to play it on cable cause if i used my wireless my lag was unreal. iv since upgraded the laptop to a 64bit turion with a gig or ram and i can play perfect on wifi, no lag in ironforge or anything so it was my laptop that caused my lag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

NotMe wrote:

Wow uses loads of bandwidth. Esp if you are in a 40 man raid zerging MC or some such. On top of all the data about you and 39 other players you have to receive, you also have all the stuff from all the chat channels you are in coming down to you. Compared with other games, it uses alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

ISDN is asynchronos so you get the 14kb up at the same time as the 14kb. This is unlike most other internet connections and just leads to incredibly fast latency for games. It is the main choice for hardcore online gamers.

Satellite has horrendous latency and should be avoid at all costs, for gaming.

Wireless is below dsl in terms of latency but I use a 512k/128kb wireless connection and I find wow runs acceptably.

Dial up is a bit of a dodgy area, when it comes to WoW. Depending on the quality of the line you could have massive packet loss (and therefore poor performance) or you might not. Also distance to the local exchange is a factor as well. All this and more makes it unreliable in most situations, within Ireland. Especially when you are 12km from the nearest town...

So realisticaly, wireless is probably your best (and possibly only) option given the location you described...

The best of luck ;)

• Advertisement

well i was considering getting satellite until i searched google and came across digiweb offering it at 99 euro per month for the basic package - that's nearly 3x the cost of my broadband right now (and then there's prolly installion fees)

it was a fun 2 months while it lasted

Up until recently I was paying €104 per month, for my 1mb/512kb wireless connection. Its really the only choice when it comes to games for anyone 5+ km from the nearest town/exchange.

Be prepared to pay through the noise for any speeds above dial up...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Wow uses loads of bandwidth. Esp if you are in a 40 man raid zerging MC or some such. On top of all the data about you and 39 other players you have to receive, you also have all the stuff from all the chat channels you are in coming down to you. Compared with other games, it uses alot.

It really doesn't. Get titan bar and you can monitor exactly how much bandwidth is being used. It's rarely any higher than 1kb-2kb up and down.

i'm sorry but that is BS... titanpanel is WRONG... **** titanpanel

besides, i'm gettin kinda bored of the game... it's an incredible game no doubt, but i'm finding the grinding a bit boring and the highest i've gotten a character is my lvl 39 warrior (i've experimented with some other classes but prefer the warrior - never tried the mage btw)

the game is a lot of fun and it does require some skill and there is some thinking involved when playing in instances and stuff, unlike a game like runescape for example

but as far as skill is concerned... it just can't compare to the rts scene, that's where real competitive gaming is at, and it's so much more rewarding to beat a skilled player in an rts game, but i'm sure it's still rewarding to eventually get those epic gear later on, course not as much skill is required

anyways like i said it was fun, but rts is still above mmorpg gaming for me, so no loss

Dont mistake bandwidth for latency and fps (frames per second)

Alot of wow's calculations are done server side, so naturally there isnt that much bandwidth needed. Latency, on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Bare in mind latency's usually not a problem on new-ish realms, though some of the older ones were supposed to have terrible lag.

The big problem is that your FPS drops a lot in busy areas... Best example would be Ironforge AH/Bank - the main gathering place for the Alliance.... Usually FPs rates there are awful...

All I can do is hope those b*stards at Dell hurry up and deliver my pc. :p

Advertisement