Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WSDL - what exactly is it?

• 18-07-2006 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Just wondering. Looking to get something like that for a new website project, but there are only a few companies like IBM that offer this type of software and can not understand what exactly it is.

Amazon is using it as well.
    Just wondering what programing language does it need to be designed in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

WSDL is just an XML schema for describing Web Services. It essentially describles a public interface to the service. The underlying implemetation language for the service should be irrelevant so long as the code responds in the manner described in the WSDL description document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

That's exactly what I thought myself, but searching google for answers has been so dificult. Nothing explained in an easier way of understanding.
    Even W3school about wsdl is so vague.

What I can not understand is why only few website is using it, if is just xml?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Well the XML itself just describes the interface to the Web Service. The actual web service itself needs to be implemented. Implementing a webservice (perhaps based on SOAP) for a website is often just more work for website/webapp developers in situations where they can use just use a database directly.

that will be the case when you want a direct link to the main website, but what about making your products available to others on-line, as amazon do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

louie wrote:
    What I can not understand is why only few website is using it, if is just xml?

Because its not "just xml". Its xml used for a specific purpose - that being Web Services. If you ain't got Web Services, you won't be using WSDL.
    but what about making your products available to others on-line, as amazon do
    That is exactly one type of functionality that Web Services are meant to simplify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

WSDL (Web Service Description Language) just describes in XML the method calls on a web service, parameters etc.
    They can be written in several languaged. I have written some in C# that are used in a production environment everyday. Some are used to receive document data from remote agents, some are used to batch process certain data.
    They can be very handy.

I am looking to build one for an existing project done in php /mysql and found so litlle information of what and how about the wsdl which is very frustrating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thing is .net makes providing web services a doddle. I'm not sure of other techs and how easy/difficult it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If you know what your doing most of them can create web services as a doddle.

http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/2.0/tutorial/doc/

and is the stuff you would download.

http://java.sun.com/webservices/downloads/webservicespack.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Don't worry hobbes I wasn't doing an A is better than B post. It's just what I use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

musician wrote:
    Don't worry hobbes I wasn't doing an A is better than B post. It's just what I use.

Didn't think it was. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

louie wrote:
    I am looking to build one for an existing project done in php /mysql and found so litlle information of what and how about the wsdl which is very frustrating.

Doing a google on "WSDL PHP MySQL" seems to throw links to tutorials on this right from the first page.

If these aren't what you need, maybe you need to ask more specific questions.

jc

Advertisement