Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Others using our bins..

Options
  • 18-07-2006 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions on this really..

Once or twice a week, at about 4am, one of the chinese restaurants close to where I live, drives into our apartment area, and dumps their rubbish, and recyclables into our bins and recycle bins. I've no idea which establishment is doing it. I've rooted through the 'clean' stuff and haven't found any identifying material. I know it's a Chinese though, as most of the rubbish has Chinese writing on it.

The bin area in the block is behind security gates, so they have a beeper for the gates somehow. Could be residents, or previous tenants perhaps.. I don't know.

I took the reg of the car one night, and the next day, took pictures of what was left behind. I've reported the incidents to the Illegal Dumping Hotline (at oasis.gov.ie).

Just wondering if anyone knows what will happen after reporting this, or if anyone has any similar stories, and what was done to counteract it..

Cheers,

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭sugark

I have heard that you can buy a lock for your bins but not sure of where or how expensive they are. I'd contact your council Environment Dept. and explain the situation - they should be able to help as I seriously doubt if this is the first incident of this happening.

I'd find that so frustrating too - hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Order from each of the Chinese in yoru area and see which car delivers ;)

chances are it is the same one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ibanezjem

We have had similar problems in our complex of apts a while back but since we hounded the management company to take action, we have erected small signs to alert anyone witnessing illegal dumping to take photos, report to guards etc. Result has been positive.

The dumping has since declined and residents have taken photos and prosecutions have been made with relevant evidence. I suggest you get in contact with your residence committee and discuss how to tackle the problem.

I drove into our complex at the weekend and caught a nigerian with black bag in hand parked beside binstore with boot open. I asked did he live here, he said yes. I said what number, He said over there with my friend.
    ....what your friend asked you to put out his rubbish as 3am???

Two faced liar. Fookin lifted him out of it and took his reg. Was one of those bible basher dudes dressed in white with "Real Men Read the Bible" in sticker form, spread across the side of the car. Wasnt the sharpest tool in the shed now was he.

Reported his ass to the Management Company next day. Will let them take it from there. Thats what they're paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Thanks folks..

Can't really do the lock thing, as it's not really feasible. Over 50 apartments, and there's only so many who would actually care about this I reckon.

I'll try to attend the next management meeting and bring it up as an issue. If it happens again, I'll go direct to the Gardaí with the details of the car. I'd like to get film footage of them dumping the stuff so I'll keep my digital camera at the ready!

K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ibanezjem wrote:
    I drove into our complex at the weekend and caught a nigerian with black bag in hand

How did you know he was Nigerian? If he was Irish, would you have said that you caught an Irish man. His nationality is irrevelant to the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How did you know he was Nigerian? If he was Irish, would you have said that you caught an Irish man. His nationality is irrevelant to the offence.
    oh for the love of...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

GreeBo wrote:
    oh for the love of...:rolleyes:

its true tho. why didn't the poster just say "I caught a guy dumping rubbish". why say Nigerian? even if he was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

ignore

tbh wrote:
    its true tho. why didn't the poster just say "I caught a guy dumping rubbish". why say Nigerian? even if he was?

yep, I agreed, thin end of the racism wedge there. That does it matter where the guy was from? Are we ment to all think "oh, of course it would be a Nigerian"

It sounds like someone is trying to re-inforce sterotypes.

(not saying the guy dumping wasn't in the wrong or anything, its just you have to nip racism in the budd before we find ourselves thinking all Nigerians are up to no good)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

whizzbang wrote:
    Order from each of the Chinese in yoru area and see which car delivers ;)

chances are it is the same one.
    i think this is the best idea.

whizzbang wrote:
    yep, I agreed, thin end of the racism wedge there. That does it matter where the guy was from? Are we ment to all think "oh, of course it would be a Nigerian"

It sounds like someone is trying to re-inforce sterotypes.

(not saying the guy dumping wasn't in the wrong or anything, its just you have to nip racism in the budd before we find ourselves thinking all Nigerians are up to no good)
    err those of you who are having an issue with him being Nigerian are the ones being racist imo.

The guy was from Nigeria, he is Nigerian.
    If the OP said a blonde man would you be having the same problems?
    Its a description, just like, black, short or fat.

tbh wrote:
    Oh my god, you are SOooooo sexist.

GreeBo wrote:
    err those of you who are having an issue with him being Nigerian are the ones being racist imo.

the point is, he wouldn't have said "blonde man" or "fat man" or "short man". nobody ever does. "I was cut off on the m50 by a red-headed man". Why does no-one ever say that? cause the fact that the guy had red hair is irrelevant. But the poster told us that this was a "nigerian" guy. Why is that relevant?

GreeBo wrote:

He wouldn't have said a blonde hair man unless he thought it was important information to the story. The same way he said it was a Nigerian as he thought it was important to the story.

People don't generally add unimportant info to a description unless they are a fiction writer.

The question is why did he think it was important?

whizzbang wrote:
    He wouldn't have said a blonde hair man unless he thought it was important information to the story. The same way he said it was a Nigerian as he thought it was important to the story.

People don't generally add unimportant info to a description unless they are a fiction writer.

The question is why did he think it was important?

Why did he say man then?

GreeBo wrote:
    Why did he say man then?

you're right greebo, the fact that he said man totally invalidates anything myself or whizzbang have said. Way to argue your point.

I'll leave you to it lads, this is the property forum. I just didn't want to let the Nigerian comment go by unchallenged...

tbh wrote:
    you're right greebo, the fact that he said man totally invalidates anything myself or whizzbang have said. Way to argue your point.
    well your argument is that he told us the guy was Nigerian so that makes him racist as us knowing his race is unimportant/relevant.

How is us knowing his sex any different or any more relevant?

Yet neither of you have accused the OP of being sexist?
    Your argument is full of holes.
    You are accusing someone of being a racist for nothing more than pointing out something that was out of the ordinary.
    Perhaps he should have jsut said takeaway, we dont want to offend any chinese people now do we... :cool:

whizzbang wrote:
    I'll leave you to it lads, this is the property forum. I just didn't want to let the Nigerian comment go by unchallenged...

No worries, move it to AH if you want, I just dont see why race needs to be challenged but sex doesnt...seems a tad inconsistent.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote:
    No worries, move it to AH if you want, I just dont see why race needs to be challenged but sex doesnt...seems a tad inconsistent.
    Its a fair point, but we are long used to not being sexist in this country so I'm not pushed to point it out. Racism on the other hand is new and so needs a bit more vigilance! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In the first house I ever rented, I had this problem.

Our neighbours put all their rubbish into our wheelie bin.
    Simple solution was to go to their front door and place their rubbish there.

Note: It was in plastic bags, I wouldn't dump loose rubbish.

Maybe it was immature but I got great satisfaction from doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OK, point(s) made. Stay on topic.

micmclo wrote:

Its as immature as them using your bins! How long did it take to work?

whizzbang wrote:

Worked first time, never had any more trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

whizzbang wrote:
    I disagree. Nothing immature about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

micmclo wrote:
    In the first house I ever rented, I had this problem.

Our neighbours put all their rubbish into our wheelie bin.
    Simple solution was to go to their front door and place their rubbish there.

Note: It was in plastic bags, I wouldn't dump loose rubbish.

I've rang the doorbell, handed them the bag of rubbish and said, "i found this in our bin and thought you might be looking for it."

On bin day around here i've seen people driving around looking for not quite full bins left out, then opening their boots and dumping their rubbish in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

On bin day around here i've seen people driving around looking for not quite full bins left out, then opening their boots and dumping their rubbish in.

Whats wrong with this practice? Doesn't make any difference to the person who owns the bin.

wyndham wrote:
    Whats wrong with this practice? Doesn't make any difference to the person who owns the bin.

Can you honestly say you'd have no problem with someone leaving their rubbish in your bin?
    If so, you're a more tolerant person than I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Not if I had already put it out and had no further waste to add to it. Better to go in unwanted space in a bin than on the side of the road somewhere or over a ditch. Doesn't cost me anything.

Advertisement