Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retarded gerbil????

Options
  • 18-07-2006 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

i got a gerbil there round march/april, he was only a newborn, 2wks old max:) . now the poor little thing was scared ****less when he was in the open and i walked by. now i figured this was coz he was young so, i ignored it thinking he will get used to me if i fed him by hand(sunflower seeds) as a treat. now the little **** gets them off my mam too , which i didnt know about so now i think he is gettin a bit over weight.
    what makes me think hes a bit retarded is that hes a idiot, now i have had 3 previous gerbils and they were cute little things(did silly things but were funny to look at:) ), but this chap is stupid , i have a seed on the palm of my hand to try and coax him onto it and he nibbles my finger:D :eek: :mad: the others jumped up and got the seed, this is what makes me think hes retarded coz he totally misses the target!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

They say pets take after their owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

kona wrote:
    i got a gerbil there round march/april, he was only a newborn, 2wks old max:) . now the poor little thing was scared ****less when he was in the open and i walked by. now i figured this was coz he was young so, i ignored it thinking he will get used to me if i fed him by hand(sunflower seeds) as a treat. now the little **** gets them off my mam too , which i didnt know about so now i think he is gettin a bit over weight.
    what makes me think hes a bit retarded is that hes a idiot, now i have had 3 previous gerbils and they were cute little things(did silly things but were funny to look at:) ), but this chap is stupid , i have a seed on the palm of my hand to try and coax him onto it and he nibbles my finger:D :eek: :mad: the others jumped up and got the seed, this is what makes me think hes retarded coz he totally misses the target!!!
    You're a shining example of retardation yourself, the poor thing must be following your example.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He's already been fed by your mother, he doesn't want to eat. Duuuurrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Karoma wrote:
    They say pets take after their owners.

so thats why you look like keith richards scrotum

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

That doesn't make sense...but makes for a nasty image.Respect++

In fairness, get your mother to stop feeding it and see if it takes the food then before you go calling it names. Gerbils are people too!

• Advertisement

i know and i love the little thing but retard is a way of describing it at least i didnt call it a remo or a cabbage or vegetable....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

why have you only got 1 gerbil?? they are a social animal & need to be kept in single sex pairs! Where on earth did you buy a 2 week old gerbil??? FARRRRRRRRRRRR TO YOUNG! They should be 6 weeks at the earliest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

The little guy is obviously a fighter, to have survived at 2 weeks!!!! :eek:

Do him a favour, find him a new home and an owner who will love him FOR his uniqueness ;)

b

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

A 2 week old gerbil is not able to survive away from it's mother - they're not eating solids at that age. What colour is he/she? I've had a couple of blind gerbils in the past & they tended to nip things to "see".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Maybe it doesn't like your hand-cream/smell. And I'm not being nasty. My daughter's got 3 and only one of them will take food from her hand whilst they all happily hop onto her partner's. Being a nurse, I reckon it's the alcohol stuff she has to constantly use, but it could be any unnatural smell bothering them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

What a refreshing thread title :D

Bond-007 wrote:
    why have you only got 1 gerbil?? they are a social animal & need to be kept in single sex pairs! Where on earth did you buy a 2 week old gerbil??? FARRRRRRRRRRRR TO YOUNG! They should be 6 weeks at the earliest!

well i was guessin 2 weeks, he had fur and defo could see stuff but he was about a inch and a half long(not including tail).got it in town.
    and i couldnt manage two this fella is mad enough as it is.
    oh ye how do you tell apart male and female???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Where's the managing?

Arcadian wrote:
    Where's the managing?

well i feel its cruel to keep him in a cage all day so i let him run around the kitchen for a hour every so often. catching him is a pain in the ass!!! now two of them means twice the antics of a gerbil, i have to clean the cage more often, feed them more often and pray to god they dont go to town on each other!!!
    although looking at them play together is the pet shop is quite amusing:D :)

kona wrote:
    kona wrote:
    well i was guessin 2 weeks, he had fur and defo could see stuff but he was about a inch and a half long(not including tail).got it in town.
    and i couldnt manage two this fella is mad enough as it is.
    oh ye how do you tell apart male and female???

And you've had 3 before :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Do him a favour, find him a new home and an owner

Word.

1-i dont study their anatomy and it was never somthing i cared about when i had one. if i get two, i DONT want loads of little baby gerbils.

2-youre irish stop using the phrase 'word', this makes you sound like a thick wannabe rapper;)

3- i aint a big gerbil head so i dont know everything, i just wanted wanted advice.

4-you have given me no advice so il put it in words you will understand

'yo, hit the bricks and dont dirty your kicks, word life mo-fo'

For a start - two gerbils keep each other company. In the wild they live in huge groups in communal tunnels, they're not a solitary species and do much better in pairs. FFS - it's not as though the extra cleaning/feeding of a second gerbil is really that much extra. They're clean rodents, you're not keeping rats or mice :confused: Get another gerbil to keep this one company (get a young pup of the same sex to make the intro's easy).

An inch & 1/2 long gerbil (including tail) is just past the pinky stage. Their eyes have yet to open, they don't run/walk - just crawl & at this age they most definitely do not live for long without their mother before they starve to death.

I find it hard to believe that you could come & post here about your gerbil but haven't thought to google "sexing a gerbil" to find out if you have a male or female Sexing Gerbils.

If you're having a problem catching your gerbil while he/she is out running free try sitting on the ground while he/she is out. They're inquisitive wee things so it doesn't take long before they start to explore you. Make yourself less imposing, they're tiny prey animals & are hardwired to run from scary things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SusieBelle

Up until recently I had two Gerbils, One died and I still do the same amount of cleaning etc. One Gerbil is just as much work as two, they love eachothers company, so if you have a young gerbil i'd advise getting another.

kona wrote:
    1-i dont study their anatomy and it was never somthing i cared about when i had one. if i get two, i DONT want loads of little baby gerbils.

If you had 3 previously, I would have expected not all at separate times so would have expected you to have found out what sex they were and how to tell by now. I expect all pet owners to gain at least a basic knowledge of the animals they'll be handling before owning them

2-youre irish stop using the phrase 'word', this makes you sound like a thick wannabe rapper;)

I'm not Irish. "Word" doesn't have the same connotations with rap you think it does

3- i aint a big gerbil head so i dont know everything, i just wanted wanted advice.

You've ignored all advice given so far.

4-you have given me no advice so il put it in words you will understand

Try and read up a bit.

'yo, hit the bricks and dont dirty your kicks, word life mo-fo'

See reply to 2

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I dont mean to be rude, but can I ask what age you are?
    You really should have done your research before imposing yourself on this little creature. If I were him, judging purely by the info you have shared, I'd be pretty pissed off too.

Oh, and do you have him in the basic "hamster cage"? or a cage / aquarium suited to a gerbil?

b

• Advertisement

I dont mean to be rude, but can I ask what age you are?
    You really should have done your research before imposing yourself on this little creature. If I were him, judging purely by the info you have shared, I'd be pretty pissed off too.

Oh, and do you have him in the basic "hamster cage"? or a cage / aquarium suited to a gerbil?

b

who are you to tell me what to do ye lil ****bag my little gerbil is well looked after , the other 3 lasted 4 years a piece,
    my gerbil is kept in a gerbil cage or so the pet shop told me.
    i am looking for info so if you have nothing good to say dont say it ye freak

RandomOne wrote:
    :rolleyes:

yo homeboy this is ireland, so talk normally and stop bringin this gherro **** onto my computer, you have given me no info i wanted so kindly piss off, ye hood rat

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

kona wrote:
    yo homeboy this is ireland, so talk normally and stop bringin this gherro **** onto my computer, you have given me no info i wanted so kindly piss off, ye hood rat

heston.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Anybody who buys a pet without even doing the most basic of research (this does NOT include being told a few random facts by some eejit in a petshop who will tell you any old rubbish just to sell you something) is nothing short of ignorant, irresponsible, and downright bloody stupid.
    Most of the people who've posted here in outrage have been completely justified.

For somebody in your situation there is absolutely no excuse for not knowing what sex your pet is, or that its happiness depends on being kept with suitable company.
    You have the power of the internet in its entirity at your fingertips, fecking use it.

And don't try that whole "I came on here looking for advice" ****e, you've been given very good advice and you've done nothing but hurl abuse back in the faces of the people who've tried to help you (and your poor gerbil).
    A banning is in order imo.

Edit: You may well take very good care of your pet in principal, nobody is questioning this, but personally I do not believe that somebody who lacks proper knowledge of their pet's needs can really be acting in its best interests.

Anybody who buys a pet without even doing the most basic of research (this does NOT include being told a few random facts by some eejit in a petshop who will tell you any old rubbish just to sell you something) is nothing short of ignorant, irresponsible, and downright bloody stupid.
    Most of the people who've posted here in outrage have been completely justified.

And don't try that whole "I came on here looking for advice" ****e, you've been given very good advice and you've done nothing but hurl abuse back in the faces of the people who've tried to help you (and your poor gerbil).

Thank you. And I look forward to his response to your sound advice also.

For somebody in your situation there is absolutely no excuse for not knowing what sex your pet is, or that its happiness depends on being kept with suitable company.
    You have the power of the internet in its entirity at your fingertips, fecking use it.

Edit: You may well take very good care of your pet in principal, nobody is questioning this, but personally I do not believe that somebody who lacks proper knowledge of their pet's needs can really be acting in its best interests.

1-i am using the internet if i wasnt i wouldnt be having this talk.
    2-my grandma OWNED a pet shop and she doesnt know what the story is, its a boy i was just wondering how you tell, and you all seem to know so tell me,instead of ranting and givin **** advice.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Asking a few random (and for all you know, clueless) strangers on the internet about things AFTER you've already bought the pet and subjected him to horrible loneliness doesn't constitute as using the internet for research. As Hadook has mentioned, the fact that it didn't occur to you to use a search engine to find information is unthinkable. You have no excuse.
    www.google.com
    2-my grandma OWNED a pet shop and she doesnt know what the story is, its a boy i was just wondering how you tell, and you all seem to know so tell me,instead of ranting and givin **** advice.
    With all due respect, your grandma shouldn't be selling animals she can't provide adequate information about.

What ever happened to "please"? Hadook has already very kindly provided you with a link despite your rudeness, try looking at it.

kona wrote:

thanks.

Go back to page one & have a look at the link I provided - I took time out of my day to find one with clear pictures to tell you the difference between male & female gerbils. How about instead of ranting at people you read the advice some of us have offered?

A friend of mine works in a petshop & I've met the owner. I've also been in a lot of petshops in 4 different countries. Owning a pet shop does not mean you know the slightest thing about animals - it just means you know how to sell animal related stuff to the general public. :rolleyes:

hadook wrote:
    Go back to page one & have a look at the link I provided - I took time out of my day to find one with clear pictures to tell you the difference between male & female gerbils. How about instead of ranting at people you read the advice some of us have offered?

A friend of mine works in a petshop & I've met the owner. I've also been in a lot of petshops in 4 different countries. Owning a pet shop does not mean you know the slightest thing about animals - it just means you know how to sell animal related stuff to the general public. :rolleyes:

i have looked at it:)
    well,thank you!!, you my friend is one of the few who didnt go crazy and give no info, so thanks.
    well my gran bred pets, guinea pigs, rabbits,budgies, she kept dogs and pidgeons too, she owned it ages ago in dublin city centre before the place (city)turned into a money grabbing sh1thole. she knows her stuff she aint no half wit who just about knows the amount of legs a dog has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I am assuming that your gran is still alive as you are referring to her in the present tense - ask her to sex the little one if you don't know how. If she bred them then she'll know ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement